Walgreens - Pharmacist allowed to override doctor
This just happened today to my wife with narcotic pain meds she has been on for chronic pain.She has been on these for 15+ years.
Our doctor notified us that in his opinion what Walgreens is requesting violates HIPPA and is advising all his patients to switch pharmacy. I went to the Walgreens to question them on the policy and the pharmacist picked up a preprinted card and read me a canned response telling me this is all they were allowed to say on the matter, it was one paragraph of here at walgreens we strive for customer satisfaction and safety blah blah. I then elected to have a regional manager call me to discuss the situation. I was told by this manager that it is a new company policy and they are the only ones in the industry doing it now and they suspect other pharmacys will follow suit.
They do not care how many customers will leave because of this and they are aware that some will but don't think it will be a significant amount. The policy is here to stay unless someone challenges it in court and they lose.(she says they are on firm legal footing) I understand why they are doing this but I am a little alarmed when our doctor tells us he feels it is a violation of HIPPA for walgreens to allow their pharmacists to be asking for medical records and taking on the role of doctor to review and arbitrarily decide whether you can have a certain script filled based on your diagnosis. This is a job better left to the better educated, namely the doctor who wrote the script in the first place.
Doesn't it seem silly to allow someone with less than half the education and little if any real interaction or health history be the "decider" of your medical care?I for one after 15+ years as a customer will no longer patronize walgreens, they do not deserve the business especially considering this was rolled out on the down low as it seems they were making an effort to keep it as low profile as possible by not allowing their pharmacists to discuss this new policy with the very people whose privacy they are violating in the first place.
More Review Details
- Review category
- Drug Stores and Drugs
- Review rating
- 5 out of 5
You May Also Like
- "I filled out all my in for to order this but didn't hit summit and x out of it and surprise I get billed $52 dollars and then the pills..."
- "Last month i purchased one box of dragon light capsules from dragonlights.org for my husband, who is 43 years old and suffers from angina which is why he is unable..."
- "I ordered 4 Borojo from #dhealthsore back in October, I received 3, I called them and they said it is on back order. I have never received anything else from..."
- "Dear FoodPanda, I am really disgust and disappoint to see your vendor's and customer service officer's attitude. I have two complains related your vendor's and customer service officer. Event 1..."
- "I was singled out with my daughter from riding scream roller coaster. She had already passed the first height check and then was yanked out of line before entering the..."
- "I bought 2 bottles of suave hairspray and the pump on each one does not work. I ran under hot water several times and they still do not work. ..."