I tried to buy wine at Walgreen's but did not have my photo ID. I am 77 years old and not easily mistaken for under 21.

Since I needed the wine for dinner, I went home & returned with ID. Cashier typed info from my ID.

What info are they taking? Will never shop Walgreens again.

Product or Service Mentioned: Walgreens Manager.

Comments

Get over it! Most retailers are now carding every person buying alcohol or cigarettes or related products.

Get over it and have your ID ready. It takes, what, maybe 15 seconds longer. If you are so against it go to your local,state, or federal government and complain as they are the ones causing this to happen. Your complaining about it to the cashier is not going to change it.

They are not going to lose their job for you. Move on!

ONE TIME WHEN I WAS IN CHEYENNE, WYOMING I WENT TO GO BUY A CASE OF SURGE SODA AT A LIQUOR SUPER-STORE ON SOUTH GREELEY HIGHWAY NEXT TO SAFEWAY. THE LADY TOLD ME THAT SHE NEEDED TO SEE MY I.D.

I TOLD HER "BUT I'M ONLY BUYING SODA! WHY DO I HAVE TO BE CARDED FOR BUYING SODA?" AND SHE REPLIED "YOU HAVE TO SHOW I.D.

TO BUY ANYTHING IN THIS STORE!"......................I THINK THAT WALGREENS SHOULD INSTITUTE THAT POLICY: WALGREENS SHOULD START CARDING EVERYBODY, REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY ARE PURCHASING! I HOPE THAT THEY DO, BECAUSE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM GO OUT OF BUSINESS AS A RESULT OF SUCH A STOOOOPID POLICY!!!!!

h.kitchener

Some retailers are taking the sale of alcohol and tobacco products to the extreme, partially due to state and local threats for selling to minors. In my state they like to "card" people buying tobacco who "look as if they are under 40 years of age" even tho the legal age is 21.

A few years ago I wanted to buy a bottle of wine in my local KMart along with a bunch of other items such as clothing and tools. The cashier insisted I prove I was over 21. I am decades older than that and look it. I ended up just leaving the stuff on the counter and walking out, never to return to a KMart again.

Apparently, common sense is not so common at some retailers.

In your case you should have never gone back to the Walgreens but drive to another of the many stores in your area---or even outside of your area---that sell wine. Why patronize a store that treats you like dirt?