I dropped a prescription off at this store yesterday because the medication I have (Oxycodone 30mg) is running a massive shortage every where, especially in Tucson where I live. After dropping it off at the pharmacy the pharmacist called me and said that I did not meet the DEA criteria for them to fill this medication, which I was unaware of. Apparently I need to be taking a 'long-term" medication in order for Walgreens in Scottsdale to fill my prescription. I am taking one, but it does not fall under their allowed long-term medication.

I did not know until I got back to Tucson and tried to fill my script here that I had a "deny" on my account, and I could not have it filled. I called the pharmacist back and she said it was a store policy to have this put on accounts that they had to turn away. I understand this is a policy, however, after going and talking to my primary pharmacy, they have explained it as my being denied and since there is no reason listed, it makes it look like I did something bad. All I did was turn in my prescription, and did not know that this particular store had to have certain criteria met in order to complete the prescription.

I have asked to have the District Manager, who enforces this rule to call me, but I haven't heard from him, and at this time I cannot get my prescription filled. This is a pain medication for my pain and I take it daily to get me through work and raising my kids. You take a medication like this away from someone and they start to go through withdrawals. Thankfully I am smart enough to go off of it for 3 days every 2 weeks so that I do not go through withdrawals, but any other person would be in the ER for complications to withdrawals

Our primary pharmacy here is Tucson is Walgreens. Its consumes more than 75% of the market. I have gone to several other pharmacies and they did not have the medication. The only store I can find it at is Walgreens and they will not fill it now.

As far as I am concerned, I feel that this is Defamation of Character.

I have done nothing wrong and have been a Walgreens customer for several years, and have had this particular medication filled through Walgreens once a month for the past 3 years. Never once have I done anything to jeopardize my script or Walgreens license.

Do not try and fill your prescriptions, unless you know all of their rules and policies, otherwise you too will have a black mark against you!

Review about: Walgreens Prescription Refill.

Had an Experience with Walgreens?

Comments

So the primary pharmacy is walgreens? But another town? I would just go somewhere else.

astegen
Phoenix, Arizona, United States #641014

You can Let Joe Know at ABC15 to sort it out. He has a Facebook page and can help sort it out

:p

Naples, Florida, United States #640664

It is called federal law.

to LadyScot Naples, Florida, United States #640667

Few questions...you mentioned getting off it too soon: had you taken it before?Had you had it filled at another pharmacy before?

Had you ever filled anything at Walgreens before? The reason I ask is that a new patient filling a narcotic is a patient that will be looked at closer. You have never filled yet you have a narcotic as your first medication. Why did you take it to a new pharmacy instead of the one who had a relationship with you already?

THAT is what the law requires pharmacists to look for.

Doctor and pharmacy shoppers.

Call the DEA and ask them about it.

MrCustomer
to LadyScot Fair Oaks, California, United States #640804

LadyScot-

That's the point about these posts - Walgreens is NOT following "federal law", the are using their corporate offices idea of what they need to do to cover their rear ends, in response to recent DEA events involving Walgreens in Florida (apparently your home state).I guess things got SO stinky there with Oxy busses and pain clinics that Walgreens felt they could do whatever they wanted, and got whacked by the DEA.

Then, they decided to go the entirely other direction and delay or deny all Schedule II scripts unless there was NO excuse to turn them down. IMO, neither condition is moral or right.

People who have valid prescriptions from their primary care doctor should have their scripts serviced - people who are doctor and pharmacy shopping should be kicked to the curb and have the cops called on them.It's really not that hard to do the right thing - you just have to have the balls to do it...

to MrCustomer Naples, Florida, United States #641106

Yes, some pharmacists and a few doctors were jailed for narcotic abuse.Which caused many pharmacists to be more diligent in watching for it.

It is a federal law, and every pharmacy has the right to make their policy as tight as they choose to protect their assets under that law.

A pharmacists license is like a beer license.Costly and can get you put in jail.

to MrCustomer Naples, Florida, United States #641108

Oh, and pharmacists do have the balls to do it, as you said, which is how the investigation into Walgreens and CVS got started, and how the drugs busts went down.