I have been filling my meds at Walgreens for 6 years now. I have been getting pain meds from a pain management Dr since January 2013 for a herniated disc.

Same Dr and same amount every time. My Dr gave verbal authorization twice to fill my meds once when my husband was there at walgreens and again while I was in the office. It is only codeine. The pharmacy manager told my Dr that he will not fill it.

Since when can walgreens override what my Dr says?

They told my Dr he would not fill it because he didn't like the way it was filled. My insurance will only allow 180 at a time then 60.

Product or Service Mentioned: Walgreens Manager.

Comments

Naples, Florida, United States #784106

a pharmacist can override any medication from a md for any reason. it is the pharmacist job to fill rx.

not the md job.

if a pharmacist feels that the medication is not correct they have the legal right not to fill the rx. sorry that is just the law.

Walgreens just got hit with an 80 million dollar fine last month to the DEA for this, so they are really cracking down on it. Hopefully in the pharmacy, they will develop a universal patient system where all pharmacies can pull up all of your prescriptions to crack down on this. Doctor's are way over prescribing narcotics and then the pharmacies are getting in trouble for the doctors not doing their job responsibly.

Dallas, Texas, United States #675315

the DEA is cracking down on controlled medications it is not enough for the doctor to say its ok to fill early there has to be a valid reason that will be acceptable to the DEA should the pharmacy be inspected.

nikalseyn
Columbia, South Carolina, United States #674513

Both doctors and pharmacies are scared of the government coming after them for filling bad scripts, etc. for narcotics.

Try going to a different drug store. Walgreens seems to have an "attitude" in the last couple of years.