1.5K views
4.0

I was just in a Walgreens tonight. The clerk told me that as of Oct 16 2018 EVERYONE purchasing cigarettes will have their personal id scanned - she said it was to cut down on adults purchasing cigarettes for minors.

What a bunch of crap. What garbage to suspect me of committing an illegal act just because I purchase a pack of cigarettes. Stores are not allowed to ask for id when using a credit card.

Why can they demand personal information when purchasing ANY product with or without a credit card? Shame on them.

Product or Service Mentioned: Walgreens Customer Care.

Comments

I think that Walgreens should stop selling cigarettes, the same way that their competitor CVS has done. That way Walgreens can stop the loss of all of the business of the p.i.s.s.e.d.

off customers who are vowing never to shop there again. And they should stop selling booze as well, because they card the elderly for that as well.

ImpossibleAiredaleTerrier286

I agree with the other comment... I’m not sure but I think it’s a volition or my civil rights as a consumer, I don’t think that they can throw a net over everyone that’s old enough to smoke and that is my choice and right ...if I so choose. Can you say class action lawsuit...Walgreens does not have the right to make me produce an ID of any kind if I’m over 21 ....

WHEN THEY DEMAND YOUR I.D. YOU SHOULD GRAB THE ITEMS THAT YOUR WERE TRYING TO PAY FOR AND RUN OUT THE DOOR AS FAST AS YOU CAN AND DON'T STOP RUNNING UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THAT NO ONE IS FOLLOWING YOU ANY MORE.

The private entity may not withhold the provision of goods or services solely as a result of the individual requesting the collection of the data in subsection (6) from the individual through manual means.” http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0322/Sections/0322.143.html

I am happy to be part of a class action suit against scanning my drivers license to purchase alcohol. I am 63 years old and don’t want my identity stolen.

Target and grocery stores tried this and have stopped. Please contact me at+16363995203

ImpossibleAiredaleTerrier286
to Anonymous #1714739

I’m so pissed.... I was refused cigarettes at Walgreens because my license was expired...

I’ve got a valid or should I say I had one.... left at , ironically smoke shop a couple days ago and it appears that I left on the counter and forgot it... hasn’t shown up yet...

but to my point, I believe that my civil rights were violated ... is there any legal recourse ...

I was at the Walgreens in Homosassa Florida and I was trying to purchase some cigarettes for my 82 year old mother. I was telling you about this young girl behind the counter that I had to scan my license because it was company policy.

I told her that that was actually an illegal act in the State of Florida company policy cannot Trump state law so the manager was called over and I told her the same thing they told me and I quote that if they did not follow the state law by just looking at the front of your license and getting your birthdate off of that which isn't which is legal they will be fired because Walgreen is now forcing their employees to follow an illegal act disguised as a company policy their excuse was that according to their manager some guy named Phil you know from the company may head up company they say that Walgreens does not sell out or Miss use any personal information they get from scanning your licenses. I'll make it clear to you they have no system in place to guarantee that any extra information off your license such as your bank account the amount of money in your bank accounts or credit cards your address basically all your friends are color and license off your car you know excetera excetera anything that didn't get off your license is now stored in their Mainframe and they say that they don't protect it. That's *** By state law I can refuse to allow them to scan my license with and that's a fact but also by state law if I'm purchasing cigarettes or alcohol all they have to do is look at the front of the license to get the age off the license because that is a state or document my license of speaking of. But well Walgreens wants to violate my rights by forcing me to violate state law and regulations on the use of a state document known as my driver's license.

I will be sending a complaint to the district head and informing them that I will no longer purchase anything and Walgreens I am moving my complete medical history my prescription service and everything over to CVS or Walmart. Because those companies in the State of Florida follow the law and they actually care about their customers privacy.

to Anonymous #1681226

I agree with you. Scammers could *** into the Walgreens computer system and use the information to make fake copies of the customers license. They should just be able to look at the date of birth.

My Walgreens recently started doing this. If you don’t allow them to scan your license they refuse to sell you tobacco or alcohol.

This *** me of.... So I did some research 1.

They’re supposed to request consent prior to scanning (they never do) 2. At least in FL it is ILLEGAL to refuse good or services if a customer refuses to consent to their license being scanned

We need to do a class action suit against Walgreens. They are invading our privacy!

It's like nazi Germany. I am personally telling everyone I know not to use this any of their stores.

Shame on you!!! I'm done with you for all products including pharmacy!

two weeks after they scanned my ID , i received chantix coupons in my mail box. i bet money the insurance companies are also getting my information. selling our personal information to third parties is really screwed up , no longer buying anything at walgreens.

PricklyChipmunk
to Anonymous #1669639

Wtf?!

HypnoticGorilla495
to Anonymous #1678335

You *** They already had your address in their system. They have it in the pharmacy and on your balance rewards card.

to Anonymous #1682507

Screw Walgreen. Not getting my ID for communistic purposes.

Feds will use info gained by ID for their own purposes to know who smokes and who doesn’t. Also health insurance companies will use info to assess your costs for policy as a smoker.

Hope this post last longer than the one i posted 5 minutes ago, which shows i hit the nail on the head. They beleive all American’s are dim witted!!!!

Handy info for feds wishing to know who smokes and who doesn’t , and health insurance will eventually be priced knowing who smokes .

PricklyChipmunk
to Bob Wilson #1669640

Or policies could be denied, the point I made as well. No thanks Walgreens..

HypnoticGorilla495
to Bob Wilson #1678337

Uhh no. Just Walgreens not wanting to get shut down for selling to minors.

I’ve seen some pretty old looking 17 year olds. Hopefully smoking catches up with you sooner than later.

to HypnoticGorilla495 #1707585

Jenny Craig called. They cannot help you out for being to fat or to skinny!

to Anonymous #1707776

Wow. So much hate and arrogance.

You're really going to body shame someone! That's so rude and arrogant of you.