5.3K views

Today, 8/21/2010, I went to my nearest Walgreens located at 755 Broadway, Brooklyn, NY 11206, to return a lipstick in which I was overcharged and buy a few household items.Since it was raining I was wearing a sweater to cover my hair.

Throughout my shopping at the store I was followed by employees and the security guard, making me very uncomfortable. I finally decided I was not going to give my money to this store and decided to return the lipstck. While at the register the manager asked the clerk where is the "code 5", and the clerk replied, "it's ok, it's her here" meaning that they didn't need to follow me anymore since I was already leaving I guess. Since I was returning an item, the manager had to conduct the transaction, I was so mad that I asked him "so just because someone is wearing a sweater means they're going to steal something?" and he just smirked at me!!

Such disrespect. This trip to the store humiliated me, I actually left crying and shaking! I'm a college graduate and in no way do I act or dress like a thief! The manager didn't even apologize for humiliating me.

Once home I called the store because the manager's name was not on the receipt and whoever answered gave me a hard time, asking me why I wanted the manager's name. Afterwards, he finally relented and told me the manager on shift was Mr.

Swanzi.What was so hard about giving me the manager's name?

Had an Experience with Walgreens?

Comments

New Jersey, United States #1322363

Walgreens is absolutely racist.Every time I enter the store an employee enters a room to watch me.

When I start to approach the cash register they come out of the room and follow me to the cash register. Then, after I pay for the item(s), an outside security guard in an unmarked vehicle (probably security for the shopping plaza) watches me and sometimes follows me to the shopping plaza exit. This behavior makes absolutely no sense. In my opinion it is a mental sickness; it is not what healthy minded people do.

I'm done with Walgreens forever. Don't need them.

Don't want them.Bye.

Farmington, Michigan, United States #997358

walgreens is not racist.certain *** stores make up *** codes, but Walgreen in general is okay.

just don't go to that store and report it to the corporation or district manager. I work at walgreens and we only have code 21- a cashier can't ring alcohol, 22-almost out of money, and 44- register pickup/out of a certain kind of money. Please report this store! That is ridicules!

I'm sorry for you dissatisfying experience! Please don't stop using Walgreens!

Other locations do not do that!REPORT IT

to Anonymous #1313797

That's a *** lie that's not the only code y'all have cause every time I walk into a *** Walgreen they call code five as soon as I walk in the door and that means shoplifter in store. So don't gives that *** about walgreens aint racist cause the only people i ever see in walgreens are white and walgreens didcriminates against the blacks.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #904580

Yes, Walgreens is racist. Include Las Vegas Walgreens on Maryland Parkway in your avoid list. Hidpsnics, whites and trained coon blacks discriminate against black people, no matter how they dress.

to Timbo #1120046

Maybe you should try not being so terrible.

At Walgreens if they have a security concern they literally say."Security walk the floor".

I highly doubt you were suspected of stealing however.

If you were it is not the wrongdoing of the company.They have an obligation to protect the company assets in trusted in them including merchandise and employees.

#719130

code 5 in Walgreen that I used to work means some good looking person in the store and check that person out. lol and i'm serious.

Well you have stolen before so they are discriminating against you because of your past behaviour.

i hate shoping at walgreens its always a last resort,and a racist experience.

their service stinks,their slow at checkout and their focused on watching the black customers even when they are black. trained dogs tend to be loyal that way.

Did you come in with a bag in your hand and then proceed to walk around, shopping?That is consistent with a lot of shoplifters.

You should have asked for the refund first, and then done your shopping. Nothing you said indicates with any certainty that the store employees did suspect you were shoplifting. However, if they did, it is probably because you handled this poorly.

You should look at it from another's perspective: If you ran the store, would you be suspicious of someone under similar circumstances?If you answer yes to that question, you owe that manager an apology.