Jacksonville Beach, Florida
74.3K views

I have been filling a prescription for a controlled substance through a Walgreens pharmacy for six months now. Each month the prescription has been filled 3-7 days early with no problem whatsoever.

Prior to this, the prescription had been filled at a CVS pharmacy for years. I changed pharmacies only because I moved. I have had the same doctor prescribing this for about five years now. I have never had a problem filling this prescription before this month.

I called Walgreens to have my prescription filled five days early. My insurance company already cleared that it would be covered. The pharmacy tech put it through and said it would be ready in about an hour. Two hours later I called the pharmacy as I still had not received a text message saying that it was ready.

I was then informed by the pharmacy tech that it could not be filled yet because it was five days too soon. I was told in order to have it filled sooner, my doctor's office would need to call and release the prescription early. I had my doctor's office call Walgreens to do so. Walgreens then sends my refill history and asks them if they were aware that I have been filling early.

My doctors office still wanted the prescription released and suggested that I have it filled weekly instead of monthly then. The pharmacist states that this would be inconvenient to me WITHOUT CONSULTING ME. It is four days early and I have yet to have my prescription filled. Today I called the Walgreens pharmacy to ask that the prescription be filled tomorrow on the 30th day.

I explained my confusion and frustration regarding that inconsistency and she hung up on me. I was not expletive or yelling. After this I finally called the corporate Walgreens office and filed a formal complaint. My complaint was documented and I was assured someone will call me back within two business days.

Why is this a problem? Because this "controlled substance" is a medication I cannot just be off of for 5 days and not have consequences. This controlled substance comes with a dependence on the medication which does not make me a criminal of a druggie. This is a prescription from a reputable doctor that I need.

I don't feel that Walgreens should have exhibited this type of control over medication out of the blue. If it was fine for the past six months to fill early, why isn't it now? I should have been told that filling early was an "exception" they were making.

Because of their inconsistency I have been hospitalized for withdrawal side effects and have missed work. This is unacceptable.

Comments

If you are filling your rx 3 to 6 days early every month, I absolutely understand why the pharmacy declined to fill. Usually the earliest you can fill a rx (particularly controlled meds) are 2 days early.

And you having to escalate your complaint is not helping but rather flagging you in their system so next pharmacist will assure you don't get your meds too early. Perhaps you are taking more than your prescribed dosage, otherwise I don't see how you could run out and end up in the hospital

As someone who used to try to fill prescriptions early, if I needed to fill them early and was upset that they didn’t, it was because I was taking one too many. If you were taking them as prescribed, then you wouldn’t have needed to go to the hospital for withdrawal, and that’s no one’s fault but your own.

And for about a year, they quit filling them anymore than 2 days early and even that is up to the pharmacist working.

I would recommend getting help, as I did! suboxone has been a life-saver.

@Anonymous

It seems to me that she needed them early because she had gotten them 5 days earlier the month before and the month before that and on and on.....when Walgreens sto ps suddenly ...she is left without that med for 5 days . I've been there ...

It sucks . I m not an abused or an addict... It got off track due to a vacation refill over a year ago. Certainly many many people abuse schedule 2 meds....but there are those of that don't ....and get screwed in situations like this.

If anything Walgreens should fill it for you and go for the doc.

They are the ones that allowed it to get off track in the first p!ace . I hope you get well soon.

Exactly

SaneRiverDolphin665

I’m worried about that myself I’m supposed to start a new job on Monday and I’m out and my doctor is gone till the 14th just my luck all these years been fine and happen to run out early this month probably won’t get the job because I won’t be able to make it

Had tech tell me it would be ready on the 2nd ok it's 2 days early. I go through the drive through on 2nd and then another tech says it will be this evening.

I called and another person said no tomorrow the 3rd. I go through the drive through no won't be ready until the 4th! I go inside and say just cancel all my Rx I am going to get another copy of my Rx and bring it to another pharmacy. I go to my doctor's office and he's not there!

Oh Lord now I've done it! The receptionist tells me that Walgreens has already called them. Why would they call my doctors office? Then when I pick it up on the 4th I see that it was filled on the 3rd!

My Rx is for 100mg of Lyrica 2x a day, and thyroid meds!

I have an appointment to see my doc and I'm changing druggists. The Mom and Pop places are always better.

@Anonymous

What happened to me too. The small places are better, it's true!

@Anonymous

My doctor wants to charge me another visit to come in to increase my prescription so I can get it filled earlier since I ran out I was just there Friday I can’t afford another $160 plus pay for my medicine so looks like the emergency room will be happening

@Anonymous

They always say they are afraid to get fined I just wonder like how many people are you feeling early for and what is it for when I was in there today to find out how to get it filled there earlier I got a dirty look from an old lady made me feel like crap I know it’s my fault there’s no doctor in the office tomorrow and there won’t be until Wednesday and they want to charge me another full visit to see them when I was just there Friday and I just can’t afford it I guess if I go to the emergency room maybe they’ll write A prescription for another medication or something I don’t have insurance so I just don’t know how bad this is going to be and I’m working myself up over it

5 days is early for sch.3 or 2 99% of insurances cos. will not pay that early because they feel if you need it a week early then your overtaking your meds.3 days is the most I've ever seen and usually its 2 days and the pharmacy can hold until the exact day if they want to.

I had a problem today trying to pick up my diazepam. The pharmacy is out of this prescription. Why didn't they let me know yesterday when I was able to contact my doctor.

CloseBottleNosedDolphin253

Sounds to me since you said you were hospitalized that you are in deed taking the meds more than prescribed or you shoulda had way more to do you since you’ve been getting your meds early for last 6 months or so ... it’s nit Walgreens fault that you went into withdrawals it’s your own fault that u take more than the prescription says to take

@CloseBottleNosedDolphin253

Says the idiot who knows it all. By the way, that was sarcasm.

@CloseBottleNosedDolphin253

6 months at 3 days each time is gonna be 18 days before you can get a new prescription.

Walgreen's in Wichita falls on 4600 kell west & fairway is horrible the manager Sara is rude customers. Sara rips people off from their coupons the rewards points and wont fix it.

if there are items that are on clearance with an orange sticker she tries to charge the customer off buy trying to make them full price. Sara puts her employees down in front of customer's telling them that they are not important only management is important and threatens to take their job for no reason like I saw first hand when an employee was assisting me. I have gone into that store plenty of times and never have I seen out of control blatant disrespect for employees and customers.

Therefore I will not be shopping there again neither will my employees. We will be taking our business elsewhere.

@Anonymous

Your post would be better received in a new post

@Anonymous

Make a new post and post to yelp

WHAT WOULD JELLY DOLL DO ??????

Below i will list ways to convey to any pharmacist that you are not a drug addict: 1. 2.

3. You get the idea. I'm pretty fed up with pharmacists treating my crippled mother like an addict for simple change requests or questions she has.

It's completely out of line to assume the patient is drug addicted. Shouldn't the doctor's prescription in the first place tell them that?

@Anonymous

I do agree with you on that,its happened to me more than 1 time.They judge you by what meds your on