39.1K views

I have been filling a prescription for a controlled substance through a Walgreens pharmacy for six months now.Each month the prescription has been filled 3-7 days early with no problem whatsoever.

Prior to this, the prescription had been filled at a CVS pharmacy for years. I changed pharmacies only because I moved. I have had the same doctor prescribing this for about five years now. I have never had a problem filling this prescription before this month.

I called Walgreens to have my prescription filled five days early. My insurance company already cleared that it would be covered. The pharmacy tech put it through and said it would be ready in about an hour. Two hours later I called the pharmacy as I still had not received a text message saying that it was ready.

I was then informed by the pharmacy tech that it could not be filled yet because it was five days too soon. I was told in order to have it filled sooner, my doctor's office would need to call and release the prescription early. I had my doctor's office call Walgreens to do so. Walgreens then sends my refill history and asks them if they were aware that I have been filling early.

My doctors office still wanted the prescription released and suggested that I have it filled weekly instead of monthly then. The pharmacist states that this would be inconvenient to me WITHOUT CONSULTING ME. It is four days early and I have yet to have my prescription filled. Today I called the Walgreens pharmacy to ask that the prescription be filled tomorrow on the 30th day.

I explained my confusion and frustration regarding that inconsistency and she hung up on me. I was not expletive or yelling. After this I finally called the corporate Walgreens office and filed a formal complaint. My complaint was documented and I was assured someone will call me back within two business days.

Why is this a problem? Because this "controlled substance" is a medication I cannot just be off of for 5 days and not have consequences. This controlled substance comes with a dependence on the medication which does not make me a criminal of a druggie. This is a prescription from a reputable doctor that I need.

I don't feel that Walgreens should have exhibited this type of control over medication out of the blue. If it was fine for the past six months to fill early, why isn't it now? I should have been told that filling early was an "exception" they were making.

Because of their inconsistency I have been hospitalized for withdrawal side effects and have missed work.This is unacceptable.

Comments

Thanks for posting.It's entirely reasonable if a patient wants to pick up their Rx refill 4-5 days before running out of their current supply.

This is not stockpiling or drug-seeking behavior. And aside from MD and pt, save for rare circumstances, NO pharmacist should ever meddle or agree to enforce arbitrary, foolish rules designed to remind the customer that their private behavior is being monitored via their Rx data. Pharmacists nationwide, if they've any remaining collective spine, should organize and push back HARD against the DEA's self-serving, heavy-handed, Stasi-like tactics. CVS, Walgreens, etc, control the retail mkt and cash in, customer inconvenience be damned.

They couldn't care less about BS Rx restrictions. Meanwhile, we can hoarde to our hearts' content cartons of cigarettes, cases of 100-proof liquor and boatloads of Big Macs several times a day, unfettered, without any govt entity, global drug chain or ins co keeping track of the butts, booze and burgers that'll get far more of us prematurely zipped into body bags than any drug in existence. The hypocrisy is stunning. Note to pharmacists everywhere: Fill the f-ing Rx, and spare us all your faux concern.

Deny all you want, but your primary motivation is to save your own *** because you've allowed the DEA to demoralize you with their fear tactics. How many times have we heard, "...I could lose my license!" That sets a paranoid tone for all. You don't like it? PUSH BACK.

ORGANIZE. UNIONIZE. AND TELL THE DEA AND YOUR CORPORATE MASTERS TO {{Redacted}}.

I remember a time when pharmacists were independent and self-assured enough to bend over backwards for regular customers, and unless one was clearly an addict, they respected the long dead presumption that private citizens *expect* to be treated like responsible adults.This is indeed a sick country when it's easier for a psychotic 19 yr old to purchase a semi-automatic killing machine than it is for a sensible individual to refill a CIII Rx.

If I told my story, what I want through getting my pain meds, it will take 3/4 pages long.It was a nightmare!

Had to go to detrox.

We should start a law suit.You just can't stop taking opioids.

Lady or should I say *** scott, has no clue what we go through .I was sent into severe withdrawals from lyrica because my doctor's office could not get it in for 5 days to the pharmacy.

And other times sent into it because pharmacy doesn't always have it in stock so then have to wait AGAIN for a day or two, . Not only do we have to deal with them, then get harassed by the pharmacy. I have severe painful neuropathy from having type 1 diabetes for 32 years, diagnosed at age 14, Waiting until the day of is not always possible. We have jobs, kids, etc, just like those of you without painful disease.

Not only that my pharmacy is closed on Saturday and Sunday so if my time to refill falls on that then I am thrown into withdrawal for 3 days until they open on Monday. By the way lyrica is not a narcotic it is an anti convulsant. People are too stupid to account for all these issues, like it is our fault when we get very upset by their mistakes and lack of empathy. Pharmacists, docs.

etc. are too stupid to understand the science behind withdrawal, Depending on the med severe symptoms can start within hours after a missed dose. I hope 1 day all of you pharmacists, techs and doctors) or better yet your loved ones has to go thorough this and is harassed and denied meds because of the above issues happening and suffers terribly from severe chronic pain that never lets up, like mine. Then you can watch them almost die from withdrawals.

. They are punishing us because some rich white kid gets bored and buys and steals parents meds. and CHOOSES this. I did not have a choice to be cured and did not have a say in the diseases I was given.

Lastly, even if a healthy person gets into this situation they chose by abusing drugs they can at least get help and possible cured for it. I will never be cured of type 1 diabetes and severe neuropathy. no matter what.

Unless you have walked a mile in my shoes don't assume you know it all and that patients are all junkies.But, everyone knows karma is a bitch!

to meg #1434188

I hear you I have had neropathy for seven years now and have a wound in my foot over an inch deep and Walgreen's is refusing to fill my prescription just one day early I can't drive due to my disabilities and don't have anyone as of now to even pick them up for me tomorrow it's just crazy and heartless we are not all {{Redacted}} addicts

to Kelly #1434627

I had CVS do that to me when I used to use them.They wouldn't refill mine a day early even though the "real" due date came on Christmas eve and they obviously were closed for 2 days.

I called my insurance for an override and they said the previous 3 prescriptions I picked up weren't showing on their records. CVS was having me pay for my meds with my goodrx card. That would have been ok but the goodrx price for each prescription was $26 compared to my insurance price of $12. CVS was overcharging me.

I had to send in paperwork to get my money back. What a bunch of *** *** snakes.

I've had Medicaid for a few months and the ONLY pharmacy they don't honor is CVS.I wonder why???

Absolutely disgusting.My husband and I have mail order 90 prescriptions for class 3 drugs.

However, for out 14 year old child's prescription for ADHD we have to go to our sons Peditrian every month to pick up a 30 day prescription.

Absolutely disgusting that if I do 90 day script for Class 3 meds. Pay 2 months, get one free.

But our son's Peditrian Refuses to fill a 90 day script.And we can NOT get the prescription filled until the day it's due to be refilled.

Extremely frustrating that was have to drive 1 hour away every month to pick up a piece of paper to get a 30 day prescription.

This is my Walgreens horror story, I had major back surgery known as P.L.I.F , less than two months ago.I'm still in severe pain so yesterday I called my doctor whom wrote a prescription for pain medication.

I get to Walgreens and am immediately told that the new policy is that the doctor has to fax in my diagnosis as to why I'm on the medication and send practically all of my medical treatment information and history. The pharmacy clerk called the doctor as I sat there asking for surgery date and all kinds of private medical information, whatever happened to HIPPA ? I never signed a release for Walgreens to have my medical history. They then told me to wait a few days until they got more information about why I need this medicine.

New script must now be accompanied by a mountain of medical history.Never going to Walgreens again.

Why do you need to fill your narcotics 5 days early? If you are taking them as prescribed, there should be no reason you cannot fill them on time.

to Anonymous #1389697

So they don't run out and have to go the day of. DUH!

to Anonymous #1399645

I trave for work and often need to fill mine early. Some people are dependent upon family/friends to pick up prescriptions and it needs to be picked up early to accommodate their schedule. There are multiple reasons why meds would need to be picked up early that in no way means they are being taken inappropriately