28.4K views

I have been filling a prescription for a controlled substance through a Walgreens pharmacy for six months now.Each month the prescription has been filled 3-7 days early with no problem whatsoever.

Prior to this, the prescription had been filled at a CVS pharmacy for years. I changed pharmacies only because I moved. I have had the same doctor prescribing this for about five years now. I have never had a problem filling this prescription before this month.

I called Walgreens to have my prescription filled five days early. My insurance company already cleared that it would be covered. The pharmacy tech put it through and said it would be ready in about an hour. Two hours later I called the pharmacy as I still had not received a text message saying that it was ready.

I was then informed by the pharmacy tech that it could not be filled yet because it was five days too soon. I was told in order to have it filled sooner, my doctor's office would need to call and release the prescription early. I had my doctor's office call Walgreens to do so. Walgreens then sends my refill history and asks them if they were aware that I have been filling early.

My doctors office still wanted the prescription released and suggested that I have it filled weekly instead of monthly then. The pharmacist states that this would be inconvenient to me WITHOUT CONSULTING ME. It is four days early and I have yet to have my prescription filled. Today I called the Walgreens pharmacy to ask that the prescription be filled tomorrow on the 30th day.

I explained my confusion and frustration regarding that inconsistency and she hung up on me. I was not expletive or yelling. After this I finally called the corporate Walgreens office and filed a formal complaint. My complaint was documented and I was assured someone will call me back within two business days.

Why is this a problem? Because this "controlled substance" is a medication I cannot just be off of for 5 days and not have consequences. This controlled substance comes with a dependence on the medication which does not make me a criminal of a druggie. This is a prescription from a reputable doctor that I need.

I don't feel that Walgreens should have exhibited this type of control over medication out of the blue. If it was fine for the past six months to fill early, why isn't it now? I should have been told that filling early was an "exception" they were making.

Because of their inconsistency I have been hospitalized for withdrawal side effects and have missed work.This is unacceptable.

Had an Experience with Walgreens?

Comments

Why do you need to fill your narcotics 5 days early? If you are taking them as prescribed, there should be no reason you cannot fill them on time.

to Anonymous #1379119

You're stupid

In going to Walgreens to fill my six medications they only filled five of my medications one of those is a narcotic that they did fill now the other one they keep giving me excuses that they cannot fill it.Same medications they've been feeling prior to this.

Now this medication being a controlled substance I cannot take it to any other Pharmacy in the state of Florida because you cannot fill a narcotic medication without a non-narcotic medication being filled with it. And now since they filled five of my 6 medications I can't take that prescription to any other Pharmacy. It's been 3 weeks without this medication I've been hospitalized because of dehydration and other major issues. I'm at the point where I do not want to live in such pain anymore and I can see why people would commit suicide because of being off these medications an do not want to live in such Agony anymore.

"A pharmacist oath".

"I will consider the welfare of humanity and relief of suffering my primary concerns"to turn down a chronic pain patient with a legitimate opiate prescription and most likely to throw that patient into withdrawal would have meant that you were violating your ethics and your oath.Or did you have your fingers crossed when you took that oath maybe you decided to exchange your ethics for a paycheck

Rock Falls, Illinois, United States #1317227

I have been going through the same problem.I've had the same prescription for years with no problem.

It had been over a week now and started having minor seizures from the abrupt discontinuation of the medicine. I had just seen my family physician the week before.

I would hope a medical Dr.who I've seen for 15 years would know more about me than a pharmacist that I have never met.

LadyScot
to Brian Naples, Florida, United States #1318106

The pharmacist does not need to know you.The pharmacist needs to know the drugs he is dispensing.

If you are speaking of a control or narcotic, then the pharmacist is required, by federal law, to be more vigilant on making sure these drugs are not being frivolously prescribed. It does not matter how long you have been taking it, or why. The pharmacist is facing the jail time, fine, and loss of his license if he does not follow the law. If the pharmacist needs to verify the script, then he needs to verify the script.

Are you using a new pharmacy? Normally, if you have been taking the same drug for years, (unless it is vicodin, which has recently been changed to a narcotic with stricter regulations) at the same pharmacy, you shouldn't have an issue.

Unless, again, your doctor is under investigation.So, what is the drug in question?

AnonMouse
to LadyScot #1318196

I'm pretty sure that's none of your concern. You seem to have no sympathy for the people trying to get the meds THEY need and this 'pharmacy' is withholding much-needed meds. I have to ask: do you WORK for Walgreens or something?

to Anonymous #1351222

Nope. No sympathy for drug addicts. The law is the law.

Aurora, Illinois, United States #1306470

Just literally had the same experience last night.Walgreens = they don't care 1 bit.

Just had a 7 level back fusion and been out now for 4 days waiting for the doctor to call the pharmacy.Such ***.

LadyScot
to Mike Naples, Florida, United States #1318108

And?Have your doctor contact the pharmacy.

You want to blame the pharmacy for your doctor's negligence.A level 7 back fusion would have surgical paperwork to go with it that you could take to the pharmacy for your narcotic prescription, which would help cut the FEDERAL red tape.

I too have had the same problem.I resent the fact that Walgreen's treats you like some street junkie when you have legitimate needs and a legitimate script.

I currently need one hip replaced, both knees replaced, surgery for a torn rotator cuff shoulder, back surgery on 4 herneated discs and spinal stenosis. I also suffer from fibromyalgia and intermittent sciatica pain. The doctor said he doesn't know how I am still standing and walking, even with a walker. I have been on Fentynal Pain Patches and as you stated, yes you will have a dependency on the meds.

It can't be helped. I had to wait 5 days to get one refill due to their incompetence, and also wound up in ER with withdrawel symptoms. That was NOT a pleasant situation.

I have since kicked Walgreens to the curb and now use Vons Pharmacy.Much better!