57.5K views

I have been filling a prescription for a controlled substance through a Walgreens pharmacy for six months now. Each month the prescription has been filled 3-7 days early with no problem whatsoever.

Prior to this, the prescription had been filled at a CVS pharmacy for years. I changed pharmacies only because I moved. I have had the same doctor prescribing this for about five years now. I have never had a problem filling this prescription before this month.

I called Walgreens to have my prescription filled five days early. My insurance company already cleared that it would be covered. The pharmacy tech put it through and said it would be ready in about an hour. Two hours later I called the pharmacy as I still had not received a text message saying that it was ready.

I was then informed by the pharmacy tech that it could not be filled yet because it was five days too soon. I was told in order to have it filled sooner, my doctor's office would need to call and release the prescription early. I had my doctor's office call Walgreens to do so. Walgreens then sends my refill history and asks them if they were aware that I have been filling early.

My doctors office still wanted the prescription released and suggested that I have it filled weekly instead of monthly then. The pharmacist states that this would be inconvenient to me WITHOUT CONSULTING ME. It is four days early and I have yet to have my prescription filled. Today I called the Walgreens pharmacy to ask that the prescription be filled tomorrow on the 30th day.

I explained my confusion and frustration regarding that inconsistency and she hung up on me. I was not expletive or yelling. After this I finally called the corporate Walgreens office and filed a formal complaint. My complaint was documented and I was assured someone will call me back within two business days.

Why is this a problem? Because this "controlled substance" is a medication I cannot just be off of for 5 days and not have consequences. This controlled substance comes with a dependence on the medication which does not make me a criminal of a druggie. This is a prescription from a reputable doctor that I need.

I don't feel that Walgreens should have exhibited this type of control over medication out of the blue. If it was fine for the past six months to fill early, why isn't it now? I should have been told that filling early was an "exception" they were making.

Because of their inconsistency I have been hospitalized for withdrawal side effects and have missed work. This is unacceptable.

Comments

Same problem in St Augustine. No insurance and mst ain’t one day before refill.

Was told that I could pick up 2 days before refill date.. Don’t like this inconsistency...

Walgreens pharmacist wouldn't even give me Retin A which was prescribed for me for a bad allergic rash. Because it's used for cosmetic reasons.

I'm a senior on government insurance, but this gel would be paid out of pocket. She said anyone on government insurance shouldn't be spending money on Retin A.

I complained to the manager to no avail. I no longer go there.

Walgreens pharmacist yelled at me and said don't you know there is an opiate crisis and people are dying everywhere! Really rude. Why am I being judged or yelled at?

If you're taking said controlled medication as written to dispense then you shouldn't run out and need them early. You know the dependency risk and the " cannot be without " risk .. So why are you taking more than you're allotted dosage ?

to PaintGirl1 #1570129

Ever stop to think so they have it on hand when they DO run out and don't have to run to the pharmacy and have something happen along the way or have a medical emergency? It's called 'logic' honey, something you apparently lack as that is the most simple reason for getting meds early.

I’ve the same problem with Walgreens and controlled substances. I take two for epilepsy.

Walgreens always filled a few days early even 5 or 7. They are special order drugs therefore need to be sure I have them in house on time. For the past 6 months was getting attitude about filling and couldn’t receive them until the 30th day!!! Finally spoke with pharmacy manager told her I was being treated like I was druggie and selling this out on the streets!!!

Was told that I can receive 2 days early. Seems recently every time I go into to order these prescriptions which I’m sure Walgreens is making a good return on, there is an issue.

Thinking about taking my business elsewhere. Would do mail order but don’t like having a stock pile of controlled drugs setting in my house.

I am trying to deal with a similar issue with Walgreens for the 2nd. time in 3yrs.Same physician, same medication.NOT opiates.

Yet, they are "controlled substances"I am a MI/Coma survivor and these certain medications help me on a daily basis, and have since 2010. Now the FL prescription laws have changed as of 7/1/2018 and my physician is licensed to prescribe these medications in accordance with Floridas new regulations. Why does Walgreens think they're allowed to make their own laws. Is it because they were fined over 80million for filling illegal Rx's??

They are causing long time loyal customers undue stress and therefore, undue PAIN! This is so WRONG!

I agree with this person. I went into a walgreen yesterday to be told I could not get my prescription until the 31st day.

I don't think getting my prescription on the 30th day is inappropriate.

It was the inconsistency that bothered me. I know the pharmacist can fill it early if they want to and filling it on the 30th day is not early.

Why do you consistently need your meds filled 5 days early to avoid going through withdrawal? That's the real question.

to Elle77 #1497197

It's called 'having them on hand'-some medicines you're not supposed to stop unless the doctor says so

to Duh #1570118

That's just an excuse. If you take them as directed then you will not run out and you will not need them early and guess what ?? You will not have what sounds like " stress " over running out and needing them early .

to PaintGirl1 #1572241

The only 'excuse' here is the crap you're posting. You do not understand anything about meds.

to Elle77 #1498574

To absolutely avoid withdrawal. If you take medicine like oxycodone or hydrocodone for any length of time you are addicted and you have to titrate off.

In all probability the doctor understands that the patient is taking more some days and tacitly approves. Pharmacists can fill prescriptions early.

I have been told repeatedly that I can get a prescriptions on the 28th day more than once. It's the inconsistency that really bothers me.

to Elle77 #1571672

Elle77 that's the crap that people are talking about. I hope you suffer from chronic pain some day and your pharmacist look at you sideways every time to hobble through the door.

I just encountered this. Mind you, they were 5 days late the previous month, but on my most recent script, they refused to release my meds 3 days earlier than the refill date.

I pressed it because i was leaving town and they let me have it "THIS TIME ONLY" (the pharmacist stressed to me)I have been on this med for years!

Suddenly, i can't be trusted to have them early(?). They are notorious for being out or not having enough , now I'm catching on....

Walgreen's is destroying my health. For some prescriptions they gave me a new reason each day why it's delayed and never call me when there's a problem and I'm ALWAYS the one who has to call them.

I am told it will be filled the next day and then told the next day oh wait you need your Doctor's approval on a holiday weekend sorry we didn't tell you this three days ago we will just fax your Doctor on a Saturday late afternoon. They send me reminders seven days before my insurance will even improve the prescription which has lead to several denials from the insurance company. At this point I have to get my pills the day I need them and know that I just one month away being forced off my anti-seizure because how screwed up they made this process. I once went there after I was sent an e-mail that my prescription ready then told it was not forced to wait then a hour later told whoops it was ready after all.

That lead them of course to contact my insurance company for a prescription that had just been filled. Walgreen's is screwing up my insurance by making these stupid mistakes and making it look like I'm intentionally trying to over order medication. They once took a prescription from a doctor changed it from a thirty day supply to a two week supply with my knowledge and changed the refills on the prescription from 6 to 12.

Any pharmacist knows no insurance companies don't allow 12 refills except Walgreen's. They don't say sorry for their mistakes and make you work yourself to get one refill.

It's not their fault you didn't take your meds as prescribed per day.Clearly you're not taking as prescribed. I think that would be more important to address.

to Kip #1497052

It's painfully obvious that extra meds are being taken, which gives all of those prescribed narcotics a bad name and forces pharmacists to police patients.

to Elle77 #1519241

You ever thought about it being PAINFULLY OBVIOUS that people such as myself are forced to refill early at times due to business travel and because a lot of out of your own state pharmacists won’t ABIDE BY THE LAWS SET FORTH BY THE DEA ON ALL CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ?? (meaning, you are allowed to refill a C-2 med with a legal, written, verifiable rx no matter where you live as opposed to what state you may be in at the time).I get so tired of people judging others on these websites when they are simply needing a place to vent and get helpful insight. Get a life.

to Kip #1497968

Dude..you do know that most pharmacies don't carry Adderall in stock most of the time? They have to order it, which takes 3-5 days. That's a legitimate reason someone would refill early.