Jacksonville Beach, Florida
74.2K views

I have been filling a prescription for a controlled substance through a Walgreens pharmacy for six months now. Each month the prescription has been filled 3-7 days early with no problem whatsoever.

Prior to this, the prescription had been filled at a CVS pharmacy for years. I changed pharmacies only because I moved. I have had the same doctor prescribing this for about five years now. I have never had a problem filling this prescription before this month.

I called Walgreens to have my prescription filled five days early. My insurance company already cleared that it would be covered. The pharmacy tech put it through and said it would be ready in about an hour. Two hours later I called the pharmacy as I still had not received a text message saying that it was ready.

I was then informed by the pharmacy tech that it could not be filled yet because it was five days too soon. I was told in order to have it filled sooner, my doctor's office would need to call and release the prescription early. I had my doctor's office call Walgreens to do so. Walgreens then sends my refill history and asks them if they were aware that I have been filling early.

My doctors office still wanted the prescription released and suggested that I have it filled weekly instead of monthly then. The pharmacist states that this would be inconvenient to me WITHOUT CONSULTING ME. It is four days early and I have yet to have my prescription filled. Today I called the Walgreens pharmacy to ask that the prescription be filled tomorrow on the 30th day.

I explained my confusion and frustration regarding that inconsistency and she hung up on me. I was not expletive or yelling. After this I finally called the corporate Walgreens office and filed a formal complaint. My complaint was documented and I was assured someone will call me back within two business days.

Why is this a problem? Because this "controlled substance" is a medication I cannot just be off of for 5 days and not have consequences. This controlled substance comes with a dependence on the medication which does not make me a criminal of a druggie. This is a prescription from a reputable doctor that I need.

I don't feel that Walgreens should have exhibited this type of control over medication out of the blue. If it was fine for the past six months to fill early, why isn't it now? I should have been told that filling early was an "exception" they were making.

Because of their inconsistency I have been hospitalized for withdrawal side effects and have missed work. This is unacceptable.

Comments

@Anonymous

No your both wrong above and below because according to my pain management Dr. he WILL only write for qnty 120 as it covers him, YOU & myself, from the "DEA" being informed about the Rx (15mg oxycodone) in question.

I know for a FACT that my insurance will pay 7-9 days early for ALL of my meds, but it is up to the Pharmecy "POLICE". So if my Dr. would simply add 1 extra pill a day to my script I WOULD BE GOLDEN, but he is, in his logic, covering his & YOURS behinds from the DEA being notified about the Fx in question. So, sadly enough, ive had to turn to heroin to help my pain & withdrawal effects, because YOU ALL feel like authority figures on said subject.

So, at the rate of overdoses due to heroin, i will likely be DEAD by 2017. My family & 2 lil girls have you thank for this end case scenario.

#1219573
@Anonymous

I totally agree with you on your situation. Unfortunately people that are not on medications or some N.A.

know it all (not talking about all N.A. goer's that practice princibles before personalities!!) there is going to be alot of peopl turning to blackmarket substances. Such as herion. That is another habit that is more deathly than giving you 1 - 5 more pills per a script.

It boils down to no one really gives a @$!# about you but you. And loved ones.

@Anonymous

So dont take heroin that is nobodys fault, it is your decision. Doctors give a set amount per month, if you do not follow the instructions and take more than prescribed, you run out early.

No whos fault is that?

YOURS! So dont blame others for your choice to turn to heroin

@Anonymous

Nobody forced to to go to heroine u should of asked for help or something else N N if u die cause YOU took to much that's on u to. Free will....you have it. Take what u need to feel ok N them fight like he'll for that family N yourself and take responsibility for ur own actions.

@Anonymous

I get you have pain, but you are being INCREDIBLY selfish using heroin. You have TWO girls..

and already know that it can kill you. That isn’t ANYONES fault but yours. My mom used heroin, almost died... within 6wks of using it she was in a coma...

don’t play with this drug.

Use a different pharmacy. Don’t be a statistic.

I am dying of severe genetic heart disease at 43. I was fit, healthy & never took a flipping Tylenol before...After 4 heart attacks, I have such severe chest pain every day, my life is essentially over already.

I don't look all that sick on the outside but nonetheless I am terminally ill. I get treated like absolute ***, a criminal & a junkie at Walgreens just by refilling my ONE pain med I take until hospice takes over. I am going to die yet my pharmacist insists on making the end of my life ***. I cry every time after leaving that place.

I have never abused a drug in my life.

I hope he someday has to deal with a life ending disease. I hope its miserable & he's denied meds.

@LLC

U need to hold your head up high. Don’t let it get to u.

Why waste a minute of your life caring about what they think. Go through the drive thru and paste a big *** smile on your face. They are not worth your tears or time. Same experience of shame here until I realized they have the problem not me it is a simple medication that is needed and your are entitled to not live in pain.

Period. Keep your chin up and enjoy the time you have!

The pharmacist is just following the law. Just recently the drug laws have been tightened, making it legally impossible for them to fill the drug early.

#1200424
@Anonymous

You are incorrect. It isn't against the law to fill medications early.

Just make sure you know your facts prior to making a statement. It is frowned upon, and can lead to narcotic units and potentially dea investigations, but there is no law stating it cannot be filled early

LadyScot

How are you going through withdrawals if you are having your script consistently filled early? You should have more than enough to last you through the wait time. Controlled medications are not supposed to be filled early, (unless you have a valid need such as vacation or change in dosage) and if they have been, it looks like they caught up to you.

My complaint is they won't fill the script on the day it is supposed to be filled unless it is after 8 am that day. Why bother with 24 hour stores if you are not able to get the script filled?

LadyScot
@Anonymous

Most likely they need that hour or hours to catch up from the scripts faxed or called in on the IVR from the night before.

I have the same problem.

With CalOptima Pace.

I am sick of this

program and will be

leaveing the program.

They tell you when you can have a smoke or anything. It is called 1 at 1.

I find it difficult to believe that the people sharing the most "judgement" have ever experienced chronic pain. When a doctor writes take a pill three times a day and it is pain medicine they are basically trying to appease the FDA, insurance companies, pharmacies, etc.

We take our medicine as we need it and yes there are times that you NEED more medicine than others. Most doctors are not literally saying schedule when you are going to be in need of pain medicine to every 8 hours every day. When you have had chronic pain for YEARS even on a good day you must take some of the pain medicine to avoid being sick. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN DRUG DEPENDENCY AND DRUG ABUSE.

Your body gets dependent if you are abusing it or not after a certain amount of time.

I honestly pray for those of you who think it is as easy as checking a calendar that you never know what this feels like. I've had a new pharmacy person say the "state was flagging" me, to scare me. I am on disability and am in the hospital for a week every few months because the medicine doesn't always control the pain.

What all of these new laws and judgement bring will be one choice to get out of pain - SUICIDE.

If you aren't experiencing chronic pain please please stop acting as if you understand.....you can't. If you are abusing your medicine realize you are not just hurting yourself, you are hurting those of us who have never abused our medicine....we just want to stop hurting and live a life that isn't confined to our beds.

@Anonymous

Well said!!! I've got multiple rare disorders that cause pain all the time!

I've maintained low doses for over a decade. The stigma that comes with being on pain meds is only the tip of the ice berg. We are constantly having to appease and prove ourselves just to stay alive. Think about that, it's no joke.

Ever wake up with the worst flu in your life? Times it by 100 or 1000 and know that every single day for the rest of your life you will be having all the symptoms of that flu. You will not ever recover your only option is to manage the symptoms. To those of you that think your too good or you would never......

I hope you never have to, it's not something anyone would chose! Most of us would give up anything and everything just to feel half way decent.

I've been lied to, threatened, questioned by walgreens here in fl

I was told WE ARE TRACKING YOU BECAUSE YOU DOCTOR CAN'T

Huh???

So I'm being told I can't refill my rx 2 days early

There has to be so way to get their attention

My dr called...they still denied So now I'm in a mess any help would be a blessing

@Anonymous

Report the pharmacy and pharmacist to your state' s board of pharmacy, Not sure it will help but it is better than nothing.

#912076

Your next refill is based on when you fill your medication. If you are getting every refill 5-7 days early, you are either taking 5-7 days worth of extra medication, or doing something else with the medicine (losing it?).

The best advice is to have your doctor prescribe the dosage you are actually taking, and don't take more than the prescribed dose.

Then you can get your first refill a couple days early before you've run out. Each refill after that you can go the full 30 days without a concern about running out.

Stockpile?

Nope, think about it. She gets say a prescription for the first of each month, with four refills.

The very first prescription that ever has, she runs out 4 days early. She is determined not to that again. But 4 days early the next month is going to be the end of the 30 day supply. LOL.

Get it? If she goes to the pharmacy 4 days early EVERY MONTH, she is going to the pharmacy every 30 days, for 30 days worth of pills. No stock pile, she got "out of phase", and to stay at every 30 days she has to go every 30 days, which has become 4 days early. THIS SUCH A *** THING TO BE EVEN TALKING ABOUT (not the stockpile, that confuses me too).

WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM BEFORE? The DEA DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER. 17,000 people die every year from pain killer overdose. More people die from NSAID induced bleeding, accidents...

We have over 300,000,000 in this country. 17,000 people is Our court system is built so you might let 50 guilty people go free rather convict an innocent one. DEAs Gestapo tactics say 50 pain patients suffer so one doesn't abuse their medication. (People are scared.

You can hide your name or post anonymously. It's BS.)

@Anonymous

30 days from the original fill date and date of each refill (not what you're describing as +30 day intervals from the original fill date or "phases"). A stockpile refers to the accumulated medication from refilling too soon.

i.e. if a person comes in for their original fill on 8/01/15 -> +30 days to 9/01/15 for their refill they have no stockpile.

However, if they come in on 8/28, they should technically have some/or all medication from 8/28->8/31 (quantity depends of sig). The next refill will be eligible +30 days from 8/28 if that's when they got their refill