Jacksonville Beach, Florida
69.3K views

I have been filling a prescription for a controlled substance through a Walgreens pharmacy for six months now. Each month the prescription has been filled 3-7 days early with no problem whatsoever.

Prior to this, the prescription had been filled at a CVS pharmacy for years. I changed pharmacies only because I moved. I have had the same doctor prescribing this for about five years now. I have never had a problem filling this prescription before this month.

I called Walgreens to have my prescription filled five days early. My insurance company already cleared that it would be covered. The pharmacy tech put it through and said it would be ready in about an hour. Two hours later I called the pharmacy as I still had not received a text message saying that it was ready.

I was then informed by the pharmacy tech that it could not be filled yet because it was five days too soon. I was told in order to have it filled sooner, my doctor's office would need to call and release the prescription early. I had my doctor's office call Walgreens to do so. Walgreens then sends my refill history and asks them if they were aware that I have been filling early.

My doctors office still wanted the prescription released and suggested that I have it filled weekly instead of monthly then. The pharmacist states that this would be inconvenient to me WITHOUT CONSULTING ME. It is four days early and I have yet to have my prescription filled. Today I called the Walgreens pharmacy to ask that the prescription be filled tomorrow on the 30th day.

I explained my confusion and frustration regarding that inconsistency and she hung up on me. I was not expletive or yelling. After this I finally called the corporate Walgreens office and filed a formal complaint. My complaint was documented and I was assured someone will call me back within two business days.

Why is this a problem? Because this "controlled substance" is a medication I cannot just be off of for 5 days and not have consequences. This controlled substance comes with a dependence on the medication which does not make me a criminal of a druggie. This is a prescription from a reputable doctor that I need.

I don't feel that Walgreens should have exhibited this type of control over medication out of the blue. If it was fine for the past six months to fill early, why isn't it now? I should have been told that filling early was an "exception" they were making.

Because of their inconsistency I have been hospitalized for withdrawal side effects and have missed work. This is unacceptable.

Comments

to SeattleNick #1675118

If someone is filling their medications "5 or 6 days early for YEARS" then theoretically they should have accrued several MONTHS worth of additional medication over time, which would make their complaint now completely irrelevant as there should be absolutely NO reason they are "completely out" unless they are a complete and total pill head.

to Anonymous #1700925

Yup

Ya Walgreens is a joke. If you have the script you should be able to fill it.

All this controlled substance timeline is bs.

It's none of anyone's biz except you and the doctor and if the doctor wrote the script they should fill it. You know why they get away with this *** Because we're a nation of *** You think our grandparents or there parents would put up with this *** I don't think so.

This is such an old post but when I read it I laughed because if this person was taking it as “ prescribed” they wouldn’t be without it for 5 days. It was alsosaid it was filled days early for months until this time meaning if taken as “ prescribed” there would be plenty to fall back on.

What don’t people understand about “ controlled”.

Geez. Get a grip and maybe go to rehab.

to Heathsr #1632438

Judgmental bastards such as yourself are part of the problem. Many controlled medications have orders like "1 to 2 every 4-6 hrs".

Taken as prescribed it's still easy to run out "early".

Not everyone who takes controlled meds is an addict. It sounds like you're projecting your own behavior onto this person.

to Rebeccah1 #1638644

No actually, they sound like they know what they’re talking about. I also take pain medication for a few different reasons.

I know how prescriptions work as I have been a Register Nurse for 28 years.

If you’re running out of them every month early then that should’ve been stopped along time ago. Best of luck.

to Kar Fos #1652868

Why do you feel it necessary to be someone's nanny? If Rebecca is over 18 she should be able to take whatever the *** she wants regardless of what other people feel she should "be able" to take.

God... People's arrogance astounds me. We need to be focused on changing the laws in this nanny state of ours. Should we only give out bleach in 1 oz cups because Kar Fos may abuse it to take her own life?

This nannying will never end if people don't open their minds. You're not the worlds mother/father...

we're ok without you. Please stop supporting policies that put a boot on people's necks.

to Kar Fos #1669294

I too am an RN, (actually BSN). As an RN (for 28 years) you should know about increasing tolerance.

Stating that a person should have, "gone off the medication years ago," indicates to me that, either you are not an RN or your just a really bad one. Regarding the first moron...really? While I do not take pain meds - (because at this point, I don't have to) I am a actual human being who has great empathy for those in pain. In the event that they are on pain meds and they are not in pain, I STILL have empathy for them too.

In addition to being a BSN, I worked at an addiction clinic for 10 years - if anyone should be jaded, it should be me.

But you know what?..."There but for the Grace of God, go I." I would tell my clients, "The only difference between you and I is that I have keys to get in the building. One life change and the roles can be reversed...in am instant." I pray for those in pain, suffering from addiction and also for those who feel empowered only by hurting others.

to Anonymous #1669298

I wish there were more people like you. You are an angel - God Bless you.

to Anonymous #1687157

Beautiful Soul xoxo

WeeStarfish207
to Kar Fos #1670916

You obviously missed the part about taking 1-2 pills at a time AS NEEDED. It is medical (un)professionals like you who make healthcare in this country an absolute nightmare. It shouldn't be this difficult unless you're a fascist.

to Rebeccah1 #1651583

I'm gonna stop you right there! If a script is written to take up to 2 a day...

unless you're taking more than 2 every 4-6 hours... you will NOT run out early. Especially 5 days early. A doctor knows how prescribing works.

The doctor would write enough to cover the highest amount you're allowed to take, to cover all 30 days. Trust me.

I'm a former opiate addict who has 3 years clean. Ive been there and I was wrong plenty of times.

to Ty #1669366

Ah yes, I remember you. You were the gentleman who stole two pairs of shoes valued at $24.95 from Payless Shoe Source.

And you left your old worn out shoes in the box! Just because you were an addict wasn't an excuse for what you've done!

WeeStarfish207
to Ty #1670926

Not true in my case. Doctor writes a script for 30 Temazepam, and the instructions say take 1-2 per day.

I typically only need one, but occasionally two ARE required, and when that happens I run out early. I suffer from ESRD Insomnia. If I have to wait additional days because 3 nights in a given month I had to take two, this means I will be wide awake for 72+ hours before these idiots will refill the prescription.

That's patient abuse. Period.

to Ty #1676297

If someone is really an addict then shouldn't someone like you have even more empathy for someone such as them?

to Rebeccah1 #1652482

I agree with Heather I'm a nurse and I've been taking a controlled substance for a long time. I've always filled at Walgreens.

They fill it on day 28 or 29. If I'm going on vacation they'll fill early. I've never gone through withdrawals or had to be hospitalized because of Walgreens!?! I take my rx as prescribed, sometimes I forget to take it in the evening.

I always have some left over when I pick it up on day 28 or 29. This protracted, extensive rant shows a bit of desperation. Walgreens like all pharmacies has an not only an obligation but DEA, DOH and ethical LAWS . No pharmacist in their right mind is going to fill a controlled substance a WEEK early.

Why would you need it so early?? Sounds like your running out early and desperately trying to blame someone because you've yet to admit you have a drug problem

to Rebeccah1 #1702437

Or perhaps they order "early" so pharmacy has in stock. Ours constantly runs out of maintenane meds and we must wait.

to Heathsr #1660029

You should research pain management, i get a 20 day supply written to be filled every 28 days. Some days are better than others so some days I take more and some days less.

If I cannot make it 28 days I call the Dr and they release early and write it in my chart. I can get away with 3 "early" fills a year. Under my contract. I have had seven reconstructive surgeries on my leg, spine, etc.

I'm sure you think I should take an aspirin. It's not easy to suffer when there is a bottle of pills you could take an extra and stop most of the pain and it takes years to figure out when you should take a break or suffer. I hope if you ever die twice you get treated like a druggie.

My pain management contract is between me and my dr. Period.

to Anonymous #1663056

Yep

to Heathsr #1671284

Sounds like you don’t have much knowledge about the topic anyways. You must be one of the pharmacy tech’s that get super pumped up to go on a little power trip to not conveniently assist patients. Maybe you need rehab from work or from family that lacks love for you.