Jacksonville Beach, Florida
74.3K views

I have been filling a prescription for a controlled substance through a Walgreens pharmacy for six months now. Each month the prescription has been filled 3-7 days early with no problem whatsoever.

Prior to this, the prescription had been filled at a CVS pharmacy for years. I changed pharmacies only because I moved. I have had the same doctor prescribing this for about five years now. I have never had a problem filling this prescription before this month.

I called Walgreens to have my prescription filled five days early. My insurance company already cleared that it would be covered. The pharmacy tech put it through and said it would be ready in about an hour. Two hours later I called the pharmacy as I still had not received a text message saying that it was ready.

I was then informed by the pharmacy tech that it could not be filled yet because it was five days too soon. I was told in order to have it filled sooner, my doctor's office would need to call and release the prescription early. I had my doctor's office call Walgreens to do so. Walgreens then sends my refill history and asks them if they were aware that I have been filling early.

My doctors office still wanted the prescription released and suggested that I have it filled weekly instead of monthly then. The pharmacist states that this would be inconvenient to me WITHOUT CONSULTING ME. It is four days early and I have yet to have my prescription filled. Today I called the Walgreens pharmacy to ask that the prescription be filled tomorrow on the 30th day.

I explained my confusion and frustration regarding that inconsistency and she hung up on me. I was not expletive or yelling. After this I finally called the corporate Walgreens office and filed a formal complaint. My complaint was documented and I was assured someone will call me back within two business days.

Why is this a problem? Because this "controlled substance" is a medication I cannot just be off of for 5 days and not have consequences. This controlled substance comes with a dependence on the medication which does not make me a criminal of a druggie. This is a prescription from a reputable doctor that I need.

I don't feel that Walgreens should have exhibited this type of control over medication out of the blue. If it was fine for the past six months to fill early, why isn't it now? I should have been told that filling early was an "exception" they were making.

Because of their inconsistency I have been hospitalized for withdrawal side effects and have missed work. This is unacceptable.

Comments

FrighteningOrangutan151

Many pharamcist are focused on the procedures, laws and protocols. I have found that many of the pharmacist have become rude and lost there proper focus... on the patient.

I can understand if transportation or help was needed,due to age or disability,although that still could give a good window of time to work it out,especially for a long term med.Pharma has to be careful as well,especially when it comes to addictive drugs.Patients are educated,and informed anytime sced.drugs are given,with consent and agreed "contracts",being signed off by the patient.If pharmas made exceptions and did so for everyone,it would sure be a disaster.Prescriptions are written and visits made in a timely manner to assure the patient does not encounter withdrawls.Being difficult and working outside of every staff member it takes from point a to b,to keep everyone in sinc.,drs.,receptonist,pharmas and patient is by far an easy task.

If you were filling early for the last 5 years or even 2 years, you should still have some left. Sounds like you weren't taking them as prescribed...

I'll leave it as that. You're complaint is unlogical.

@Anonymous

yep sounds like selling or doing

I totally feel your pain, aggravation and frustration with Walgreens!!! Their behavior was unacceptable.

I'm so sorry you winded up having to go through what you did.

I think a lot of these pharmacies just assume if the patient is on any sort of narcotic they are automatically a junkie in their book when obviously they have no damn clue that we are not all just junkies! Matter of fact the majority of us aren't!!!!

SECURITY SCAN AND RECORD ALL AREAS! A VERY SUSPICIOUS LOOKING CHARACTER WEARING A BACKPACK HAS JUST ENTERED THE STORE AND IS CRUISING UP AND DOWN THE AISLES LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO STEAL!

If you’ve been filling them 5 to 6 days early for the last 5-6 months, then you should have an extra 25-30 pills based on a script for 30 pills, which means you have an entire extra script worth of pills, which should be more than enough medication. So, it’s obvious you’re taking more than you are prescribed and if your doctor “really” did want if filled early (and I find that hard to believe), then all he had to do was adjust your dosage: example - script changes from “2 every four hours to 3 every four hours”, etc., but he didn’t, so he more than likely wasn’t aware that you’ve been taking more than prescribed.

So now, you are pissed off, because the pharmacy isn’t going to put up with your drug seeking behavior anymore.

VERY ANNOYING & IRRITATING, because it’s people like you that ruin it for other people who legitimately need it filled early every so often OR take it in one day early and get hassled about it. Thanks a lot, *** you helped to ruin it for the rest of us!

PerfumedDunker495
@Anonymous

Exactly. It’s people like that who have made it this crazy.

I usually pick up my prescriptions 2 days early, one of my meds are for anxiety/epilepsy seizures. I pick it up 2 days early because I have lived through times where things have happened, last minute events, or the pharmacy ran out and I would be without my medication past the refill date due to whatever events have popped up just because they can (I always joke about how if it can happen, it will) so to avoid frustration, stress or debilitating panic attacks where I start hallucinating and can’t walk, etc (that are actually seizures in my frontal lobe, hooray!) I have proceeded to 1) have a back up of at least 5 pills (which I was told is illegal, by the pharmacy) and 2) try to live by the idea of being prepared, because I am not able to control anything but myself. But lately, and even moreso, the last 4 months, Walgreens has been very busy to the point of really messing up my prescriptions, from April - 3 weeks I did not have my medicine and my doctor happened to be away on vacation for the first time ever it seemed - I was told to go to the emergency room and then to bring it to a local pharmacy or try cvs. But to even ask questions, to find out what had happened and how to fix the problem, Walgreens was treating me terribly because of the abuse so many like OP have and continue to demonstrate.

After about a week, my own mother drove down there to find out what’s going on - and they told her that my prescription was just filled and that they alluded to the abuse of medication on my behalf, when they had filled the script themselves, “misplaced it” and then told me they had ran out, and would get angry with me. I don’t even remember the entire situation because it was actually incredibly absurd. Now I understand, because they’re constantly in offensive mode with having to deal with people who need to sort of their mental health and substance abuse issues. This still upsets me because now this seems like the standard, I just called in a refill for my meds, to be picked up on the 8th, bottle says the 8th, paper receipt (I have to save those now to prove when I received the medicine because Walgreens has been off now, at least this month they’re saying my script isn’t due until the 13th and too early, when my dr visit, the date on the bottles, the receipt from the printer and card used all say the 8th - I pick up 3 medications at once, then another 3 weeks later, all of the bottles being picked up together all day the same date, and have been picked up together now for as long as I can even think back because it’s easier than going once a week.

So I’m being told just one of the 3 bottles is too soon, and due on the 13th. I was told there was nothing I can do. Because it’s the 13th, not the 8th. THIS IS WHY I HAVE TO CALL AT LEAST 2 DAYS AHEAD TO REFILL LOL.

LUCKILY, I CALLED 8 DAYS AHEAD THIS TIME TO HAVE THEM READY FOR PICKUP (call early, refill on or before pickup date) SO I HAVE A WEEK TO FIX THE PROBLEM. So I can see this being in fault to BOTH Walgreens and the computer system(which, whoa! HOW IS THAT EVEN HAPPENING?!), and the fact that people who abuse their medications made this “us Vs. them” situation which if anyone is prescribed say, anxiety medications, and if you have then you know the condescending tone or the lack of help they have when you ask a question in regards to your prescriptions.

I just can’t wait to be off this crap! I’m sick and tired of it all!

@PerfumedDunker495

I 100% just felt every emotion you had from your text. EVERY SINGLE MONTH I go through the same thing with Walgreens.

Just today, I went to drop off mine and my child’s script and told them I would be in Sunday to pick it up. It’s Friday... we had our scripts filled on the 2nd of last month, this month the 2nd happens to be Labor Day and Walgreens pharmacy is closed... the tech said I would not be able to pick up our script until Tuesday, and wouldn’t hold the script until then (not holding the prescriptions was actually a first for me) Keep in mind this is a 30 day prescription...

Meaning we both take the last pill out of our bottle tomorrow... meaning we will be without our medicine for Sunday, Monday, and also Tuesday (Tuesday is added in because my daughter and myself have to take our medicine in the mornings, and the pharmacy is not open before we have to be at school and work.) So that’s THREE days without our medicine. Every month I have close to this same arguement with the pharmacy tech and they end up filling it... but they usually say the same thing that they hav even with Walgreens for however many years and that they never fill scripts early...

WRONG!

They discriminate on what you look like! If I go in there in my nice work clothes they fill it, if I go up there on an off day and look like a couch potato then they give you the run around and a bunch of *** comments and ugly looks.

MarvelousBengalTiger

Exactly

MarvelousBengalTiger

Ageeed

I am a Vietnam vet with severe PTSD. My psychiatrist/therapist been prescribing alprazalom for several years, usually with 3 refills.

Been using the same Walgreens for 6 years. Up until 7 months ago, with the arrival of a new pharmacist, I have been receiving my refills upon correct refill day without a problem. Now, when I submit my refill request on or one day before refill date, the pharmacy stalls my refill for one week...message says, "under review by pharmacist,' and no action be taken. I am a diabetic and have recently had several back surgeries.

No problem getting pain meds, but the ONLY prescribed refill drug that hey refuse to refill when due is alprazalom.

What started out as a first of the month refill date is now 3 weeks out, and I generally run out. Submitted my refill request on the due date of June 12...today is the 18th, and it still says "delayed...under review by the pharmacist."

@Anonymous

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

@Anonymous

ANY Vietnam vet SHOULD GET THERE MEDS.That *** me off You should be top priority.I Love our Vets.

Under certain state laws a prescription for narcotic medication CANNOT be filled until the due date. You even though they will not inform you, you can be red flagged. TN if you have been written controlled substances or been seen by 3 different providers in 90 days or less even if its from the same office / clinic their Drug Database red flaggs you.

Experiencing Walgreen's so called policies of not being able to refill diazepam after 28-30 days. Their policy is that it cannot be refilled on the day it was dispensed but the day it was picked up from the store.

How is that right?!

Makes no sense to me. Please explain or if they can even do that.

That's actually by order of the DEA, NOT Walgreens doing

@Anonymous

Um, if you pick it up today, then you will have a full 30-day supply and will not NEED to refill it earlier. Unless of course you are taking more than the prescribed dose like many abusers and "early refillers" do ...

@Anonymous

It's not the NEED to pick it up earlier because one is taking more than is prescribed. It's the need to pick it up earlier due to more than one valid reason.

1) The pharmacy may not even have the medicine in stock, so when the patient (for that is what they are; not just a customer) comes on the 31st day (the 1st day of the next 30, for that is what they are doing now) there is none to be had; the patient is then left with no medicine, which then becomes more than just a problem. When one suffering from the disease of chronic pain, it's more than hard to run around trying to find another pharmacy in the hopes they will have it in stock, especially if someone is driving you for that express purpose. This is the reason that pharmacies and insurance companies have always let people refill on the 28th day. So this is less likely to happen.

Walgreen's wouldn't want to see people run out of their blood pressure medications would they? 2)It's more productive for the patient to get their medicine on the 28th day. This way the patient can put 2 days worth aside every month (as one should do for all their medicines, not just the controlled ones) in the event that the pharmacy does run out. The patient has a back up supply in case that or other possibilities happens.

For instance their doctor is not in because he was called away because of an emergency at the last minute. Or a hurricane is on the way, as in the case of Katrina, which happened here in New Orleans where many patients were out of their medicines for days to weeks. Anything could happen. That is why a patient should be able to fill or refill their prescriptions every 28th day as most insurance companies permit.

They do not want patients to run out of prescribed, needed medicine. Not because they really care about the patients health; more because if someone runs out of their medicine because of their policy, it could open them up to a lawsuit if someone were hurt because of that.

@Anonymous

Ummm...the original poster has been getting it filled 5-6 days early for the last 5 months or whatever, so the fact that they were hospitalized due to withdrawal means they’ve been taking more than they’re supposed to!