Jacksonville Beach, Florida
69.3K views

I have been filling a prescription for a controlled substance through a Walgreens pharmacy for six months now. Each month the prescription has been filled 3-7 days early with no problem whatsoever.

Prior to this, the prescription had been filled at a CVS pharmacy for years. I changed pharmacies only because I moved. I have had the same doctor prescribing this for about five years now. I have never had a problem filling this prescription before this month.

I called Walgreens to have my prescription filled five days early. My insurance company already cleared that it would be covered. The pharmacy tech put it through and said it would be ready in about an hour. Two hours later I called the pharmacy as I still had not received a text message saying that it was ready.

I was then informed by the pharmacy tech that it could not be filled yet because it was five days too soon. I was told in order to have it filled sooner, my doctor's office would need to call and release the prescription early. I had my doctor's office call Walgreens to do so. Walgreens then sends my refill history and asks them if they were aware that I have been filling early.

My doctors office still wanted the prescription released and suggested that I have it filled weekly instead of monthly then. The pharmacist states that this would be inconvenient to me WITHOUT CONSULTING ME. It is four days early and I have yet to have my prescription filled. Today I called the Walgreens pharmacy to ask that the prescription be filled tomorrow on the 30th day.

I explained my confusion and frustration regarding that inconsistency and she hung up on me. I was not expletive or yelling. After this I finally called the corporate Walgreens office and filed a formal complaint. My complaint was documented and I was assured someone will call me back within two business days.

Why is this a problem? Because this "controlled substance" is a medication I cannot just be off of for 5 days and not have consequences. This controlled substance comes with a dependence on the medication which does not make me a criminal of a druggie. This is a prescription from a reputable doctor that I need.

I don't feel that Walgreens should have exhibited this type of control over medication out of the blue. If it was fine for the past six months to fill early, why isn't it now? I should have been told that filling early was an "exception" they were making.

Because of their inconsistency I have been hospitalized for withdrawal side effects and have missed work. This is unacceptable.

Comments

to Heathsr #1700928

Yup

They have been breaking state laws. Any controlled substance isnt supposed to be filled earlier than every 30 days.

They were doing it as a convenience for holidays and weekend hours. The problem I've had is the one I use has been using the day its submitted as the date on the bottle and on my records which doesnt reflect pick up date. So I would go to my doctors and be accused of filling early and I didn't know they were doing it. Most of my other stuff is auto refill.

I would look at the date on the bottle and think, oh 30 days is almost up, better put in for a refill. Then unknowingly put it even earlier by submitting a day or two early to give them time to work on it. I have a hard time tracking meds. I get sick alot and will throw up my med or want to see if I have an extra because I'm in more pain.

So I would count out pill amount vs fill date on the bottle to make sure I wasn't running myself short. Some days I need less.

So last time I go to my doctor they decide to hold my sleep med by 3 weeks to catch up on the surplus I should have. So the way they do it is not only against state regulation it totally screwed me.

#1622056

People should really work in the field before assuming things.hust so u guys know there has been an enforced system that when u drop off a control medication a pharmacist would look sans see the last time u pick up your medication before filling it After July 1 st of this year both pharmacist and prescribers are now by law require to verify the last time medication where pick up . Ow there exception for early refills but u have to have proof that I either ur flying overseas or ur medication was lost etc .

#1620148

It's because the state attorney general is filling a lawsuit against Walgreens and CVS for the opiate crisis. They're trying to hold someone accountable for this opiate crisis that is happening.

How are the pharmaceutical companies at fault when the DR's are the ones writing the scripts?

It makes no sense to me. https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/11/19/florida-files-lawsuit-against-walgreens-cvs-for-allegedly-playing-a-role-in-opioid-crisis

Same problem in St Augustine. No insurance and mst ain’t one day before refill.

Was told that I could pick up 2 days before refill date.. Don’t like this inconsistency...

Walgreens pharmacist wouldn't even give me Retin A which was prescribed for me for a bad allergic rash. Because it's used for cosmetic reasons.

I'm a senior on government insurance, but this gel would be paid out of pocket. She said anyone on government insurance shouldn't be spending money on Retin A.

I complained to the manager to no avail. I no longer go there.

Walgreens pharmacist yelled at me and said don't you know there is an opiate crisis and people are dying everywhere! Really rude. Why am I being judged or yelled at?

to Bill #1652485

Really, a pharmacist said this? I can believe almost anything but I'm a nurse and we have to COA we have licenses we could be stripped of easy than you think. A pharmacist spends YEARS in school and are well educated in ethics

If you're taking said controlled medication as written to dispense then you shouldn't run out and need them early. You know the dependency risk and the " cannot be without " risk .. So why are you taking more than you're allotted dosage ?

to PaintGirl1 #1570129

Ever stop to think so they have it on hand when they DO run out and don't have to run to the pharmacy and have something happen along the way or have a medical emergency? It's called 'logic' honey, something you apparently lack as that is the most simple reason for getting meds early.

to PaintGirl1 #1620149

I agree, however, we all have busy lives and shouldn't have to rush to the pharmacy a day before a script runs out. We all know how busy they are and the medication will not be ready promptly.

These guys work their *** off and get cussed out on a daily basis for doing their job. It's not their fault; they're just complying with the state regulations and compliance rules by the state or gov't or whoever makes the rules higher up. Yes, inconsistency is a pain in the *** and I hate the fact I can't just drop the damn thing off and pick it up on the day it's ready.

I have a busy schedule and have enough alarms on my phone. It doesn't matter if you go to another pharmacy or not because they're all going to be the same eventually.

I’ve the same problem with Walgreens and controlled substances. I take two for epilepsy.

Walgreens always filled a few days early even 5 or 7. They are special order drugs therefore need to be sure I have them in house on time. For the past 6 months was getting attitude about filling and couldn’t receive them until the 30th day!!! Finally spoke with pharmacy manager told her I was being treated like I was druggie and selling this out on the streets!!!

Was told that I can receive 2 days early. Seems recently every time I go into to order these prescriptions which I’m sure Walgreens is making a good return on, there is an issue.

Thinking about taking my business elsewhere. Would do mail order but don’t like having a stock pile of controlled drugs setting in my house.

I am trying to deal with a similar issue with Walgreens for the 2nd. time in 3yrs.Same physician, same medication.NOT opiates.

Yet, they are "controlled substances"I am a MI/Coma survivor and these certain medications help me on a daily basis, and have since 2010. Now the FL prescription laws have changed as of 7/1/2018 and my physician is licensed to prescribe these medications in accordance with Floridas new regulations. Why does Walgreens think they're allowed to make their own laws. Is it because they were fined over 80million for filling illegal Rx's??

They are causing long time loyal customers undue stress and therefore, undue PAIN! This is so WRONG!

I agree with this person. I went into a walgreen yesterday to be told I could not get my prescription until the 31st day.

I don't think getting my prescription on the 30th day is inappropriate.

It was the inconsistency that bothered me. I know the pharmacist can fill it early if they want to and filling it on the 30th day is not early.

Why do you consistently need your meds filled 5 days early to avoid going through withdrawal? That's the real question.

to Elle77 #1497197

It's called 'having them on hand'-some medicines you're not supposed to stop unless the doctor says so

to Duh #1570118

That's just an excuse. If you take them as directed then you will not run out and you will not need them early and guess what ?? You will not have what sounds like " stress " over running out and needing them early .

to PaintGirl1 #1572241

The only 'excuse' here is the crap you're posting. You do not understand anything about meds.

to PaintGirl1 #1611836

Your the problem

to Duh #1612783

So then this person should have some “on hand” since they’ve been filling their prescription early for a while. Just saying.