Jacksonville Beach, Florida
74.3K views

I have been filling a prescription for a controlled substance through a Walgreens pharmacy for six months now. Each month the prescription has been filled 3-7 days early with no problem whatsoever.

Prior to this, the prescription had been filled at a CVS pharmacy for years. I changed pharmacies only because I moved. I have had the same doctor prescribing this for about five years now. I have never had a problem filling this prescription before this month.

I called Walgreens to have my prescription filled five days early. My insurance company already cleared that it would be covered. The pharmacy tech put it through and said it would be ready in about an hour. Two hours later I called the pharmacy as I still had not received a text message saying that it was ready.

I was then informed by the pharmacy tech that it could not be filled yet because it was five days too soon. I was told in order to have it filled sooner, my doctor's office would need to call and release the prescription early. I had my doctor's office call Walgreens to do so. Walgreens then sends my refill history and asks them if they were aware that I have been filling early.

My doctors office still wanted the prescription released and suggested that I have it filled weekly instead of monthly then. The pharmacist states that this would be inconvenient to me WITHOUT CONSULTING ME. It is four days early and I have yet to have my prescription filled. Today I called the Walgreens pharmacy to ask that the prescription be filled tomorrow on the 30th day.

I explained my confusion and frustration regarding that inconsistency and she hung up on me. I was not expletive or yelling. After this I finally called the corporate Walgreens office and filed a formal complaint. My complaint was documented and I was assured someone will call me back within two business days.

Why is this a problem? Because this "controlled substance" is a medication I cannot just be off of for 5 days and not have consequences. This controlled substance comes with a dependence on the medication which does not make me a criminal of a druggie. This is a prescription from a reputable doctor that I need.

I don't feel that Walgreens should have exhibited this type of control over medication out of the blue. If it was fine for the past six months to fill early, why isn't it now? I should have been told that filling early was an "exception" they were making.

Because of their inconsistency I have been hospitalized for withdrawal side effects and have missed work. This is unacceptable.

Comments

@Anonymous

Beautiful Soul xoxo

WeeStarfish207
@Kar Fos

You obviously missed the part about taking 1-2 pills at a time AS NEEDED. It is medical (un)professionals like you who make healthcare in this country an absolute nightmare. It shouldn't be this difficult unless you're a fascist.

@Rebeccah1

I'm gonna stop you right there! If a script is written to take up to 2 a day...

unless you're taking more than 2 every 4-6 hours... you will NOT run out early. Especially 5 days early. A doctor knows how prescribing works.

The doctor would write enough to cover the highest amount you're allowed to take, to cover all 30 days. Trust me.

I'm a former opiate addict who has 3 years clean. Ive been there and I was wrong plenty of times.

@Ty

Ah yes, I remember you. You were the gentleman who stole two pairs of shoes valued at $24.95 from Payless Shoe Source.

And you left your old worn out shoes in the box! Just because you were an addict wasn't an excuse for what you've done!

WeeStarfish207
@Ty

Not true in my case. Doctor writes a script for 30 Temazepam, and the instructions say take 1-2 per day.

I typically only need one, but occasionally two ARE required, and when that happens I run out early. I suffer from ESRD Insomnia. If I have to wait additional days because 3 nights in a given month I had to take two, this means I will be wide awake for 72+ hours before these idiots will refill the prescription.

That's patient abuse. Period.

@Ty

If someone is really an addict then shouldn't someone like you have even more empathy for someone such as them?

@Rebeccah1

I agree with Heather I'm a nurse and I've been taking a controlled substance for a long time. I've always filled at Walgreens.

They fill it on day 28 or 29. If I'm going on vacation they'll fill early. I've never gone through withdrawals or had to be hospitalized because of Walgreens!?! I take my rx as prescribed, sometimes I forget to take it in the evening.

I always have some left over when I pick it up on day 28 or 29. This protracted, extensive rant shows a bit of desperation. Walgreens like all pharmacies has an not only an obligation but DEA, DOH and ethical LAWS . No pharmacist in their right mind is going to fill a controlled substance a WEEK early.

Why would you need it so early?? Sounds like your running out early and desperately trying to blame someone because you've yet to admit you have a drug problem

@Gigi

Wrong. Some pharmacist will fill it a week early.

It’s really up to the pharmacist Discretion. You don’t know their situation... maybe they work out of town and aren’t able to fill it while out of town... like on an oil rig or tug boat?

Or maybe that’s the only time they have a way to the pharmacy and they have to depend on others to get them from one place to another. Or what if it’s a child or teenagers medicine and they go back and forth between mom and dads house or stay at the grandparents over night some.... I know I’m not gonna let my kid carry her medicine around with her... so I like to leave some at both her dads and her grandparents house so she’ll have it.

Don’t always assume the worst about someone. It’s better to have a few extra then to run out. And if you are a nurse you should know that 3 days without a medicine you have been taking for however long can mess someone up pretty bad... kinda like if you forget to take your birth control one day...you get pregnant...

or one day you can’t remember if you took it that morning or not so you just go ahead and take one just in case... *** HAPPENS... people need to stop thinking the worse and stop being so closed minded about things.

If someone is abusing their meds then their doctor should see the red flags and address it. NOT THE PHARMACIST!

@Rebeccah1

Or perhaps they order "early" so pharmacy has in stock. Ours constantly runs out of maintenane meds and we must wait.

@Heathsr

You should research pain management, i get a 20 day supply written to be filled every 28 days. Some days are better than others so some days I take more and some days less.

If I cannot make it 28 days I call the Dr and they release early and write it in my chart. I can get away with 3 "early" fills a year. Under my contract. I have had seven reconstructive surgeries on my leg, spine, etc.

I'm sure you think I should take an aspirin. It's not easy to suffer when there is a bottle of pills you could take an extra and stop most of the pain and it takes years to figure out when you should take a break or suffer. I hope if you ever die twice you get treated like a druggie.

My pain management contract is between me and my dr. Period.

@Anonymous

Yep

@Heathsr

Sounds like you don’t have much knowledge about the topic anyways. You must be one of the pharmacy tech’s that get super pumped up to go on a little power trip to not conveniently assist patients. Maybe you need rehab from work or from family that lacks love for you.

Yup

They have been breaking state laws. Any controlled substance isnt supposed to be filled earlier than every 30 days.

They were doing it as a convenience for holidays and weekend hours. The problem I've had is the one I use has been using the day its submitted as the date on the bottle and on my records which doesnt reflect pick up date. So I would go to my doctors and be accused of filling early and I didn't know they were doing it. Most of my other stuff is auto refill.

I would look at the date on the bottle and think, oh 30 days is almost up, better put in for a refill. Then unknowingly put it even earlier by submitting a day or two early to give them time to work on it. I have a hard time tracking meds. I get sick alot and will throw up my med or want to see if I have an extra because I'm in more pain.

So I would count out pill amount vs fill date on the bottle to make sure I wasn't running myself short. Some days I need less.

So last time I go to my doctor they decide to hold my sleep med by 3 weeks to catch up on the surplus I should have. So the way they do it is not only against state regulation it totally screwed me.

#1622056

People should really work in the field before assuming things.hust so u guys know there has been an enforced system that when u drop off a control medication a pharmacist would look sans see the last time u pick up your medication before filling it After July 1 st of this year both pharmacist and prescribers are now by law require to verify the last time medication where pick up . Ow there exception for early refills but u have to have proof that I either ur flying overseas or ur medication was lost etc .

#1620148

It's because the state attorney general is filling a lawsuit against Walgreens and CVS for the opiate crisis. They're trying to hold someone accountable for this opiate crisis that is happening.

How are the pharmaceutical companies at fault when the DR's are the ones writing the scripts?

It makes no sense to me. https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/11/19/florida-files-lawsuit-against-walgreens-cvs-for-allegedly-playing-a-role-in-opioid-crisis

Same problem in St Augustine. No insurance and mst ain’t one day before refill.

Was told that I could pick up 2 days before refill date.. Don’t like this inconsistency...

Walgreens pharmacist wouldn't even give me Retin A which was prescribed for me for a bad allergic rash. Because it's used for cosmetic reasons.

I'm a senior on government insurance, but this gel would be paid out of pocket. She said anyone on government insurance shouldn't be spending money on Retin A.

I complained to the manager to no avail. I no longer go there.

Walgreens pharmacist yelled at me and said don't you know there is an opiate crisis and people are dying everywhere! Really rude. Why am I being judged or yelled at?

@Bill

Really, a pharmacist said this? I can believe almost anything but I'm a nurse and we have to COA we have licenses we could be stripped of easy than you think. A pharmacist spends YEARS in school and are well educated in ethics