61.7K views

I have been filling a prescription for a controlled substance through a Walgreens pharmacy for six months now. Each month the prescription has been filled 3-7 days early with no problem whatsoever.

Prior to this, the prescription had been filled at a CVS pharmacy for years. I changed pharmacies only because I moved. I have had the same doctor prescribing this for about five years now. I have never had a problem filling this prescription before this month.

I called Walgreens to have my prescription filled five days early. My insurance company already cleared that it would be covered. The pharmacy tech put it through and said it would be ready in about an hour. Two hours later I called the pharmacy as I still had not received a text message saying that it was ready.

I was then informed by the pharmacy tech that it could not be filled yet because it was five days too soon. I was told in order to have it filled sooner, my doctor's office would need to call and release the prescription early. I had my doctor's office call Walgreens to do so. Walgreens then sends my refill history and asks them if they were aware that I have been filling early.

My doctors office still wanted the prescription released and suggested that I have it filled weekly instead of monthly then. The pharmacist states that this would be inconvenient to me WITHOUT CONSULTING ME. It is four days early and I have yet to have my prescription filled. Today I called the Walgreens pharmacy to ask that the prescription be filled tomorrow on the 30th day.

I explained my confusion and frustration regarding that inconsistency and she hung up on me. I was not expletive or yelling. After this I finally called the corporate Walgreens office and filed a formal complaint. My complaint was documented and I was assured someone will call me back within two business days.

Why is this a problem? Because this "controlled substance" is a medication I cannot just be off of for 5 days and not have consequences. This controlled substance comes with a dependence on the medication which does not make me a criminal of a druggie. This is a prescription from a reputable doctor that I need.

I don't feel that Walgreens should have exhibited this type of control over medication out of the blue. If it was fine for the past six months to fill early, why isn't it now? I should have been told that filling early was an "exception" they were making.

Because of their inconsistency I have been hospitalized for withdrawal side effects and have missed work. This is unacceptable.

Comments

Glendale, Arizona, United States #1245640

I quit using Walgreens for this exact reason. The last straw was when I called in a refill two days early.

I checked to see if it was ready the next day. (Now this was after a year of playing the they never faxed to OK. We faxed it yesterday. Well, we never got it.

Me: please doctor will you approve this a third time?) so I made that call and was told the pharmacist had a question for either the doctor or me. ???? Then the tech asked me to hold on, came back and said the pharmacist would "ALLOW" it this time. That's when I lost it.

"WTH??? SHE'S GOING TO ALLOW IT??!! My doctor already allowed it, and she is full of rainbow gas if she thinks SHE will ALLOW it!"

I left to pick it up, and that pharmacist was sugar sweet to me. After that last time, I found a new pharmacy.

Not a huge chain. They have three stores in the city.

A family business. And if you need a refill ASAP, the most I ever waited is 10 minutes.

I tried several times to report this problem to Walgreen's head honchos, but there was nobody who listened.

to Aztex Naples, Florida, United States #1286516

As the pharmacist has the final say in the pharmacy, and the law will back her up every single time, she does indeed, ALLOW it.

As for reporting, nobody will listen to you.

The head honchos do not control the pharmacy or the pharmacy staff. The state board of pharmacy and the pharmacist does.

to LadyScot #1379644

You obviously work for Walgreens

to LadyScot #1389692

Ladyscot, better hope Karma doesn’t come knocking at your door. Intense pain that someone suffers and addiction unfortunately go hand-in-hand and as best as people try it ends up happening to them

to LadyScot #1420712

Please , sit your self righteous {{Redacted}} down.

to Anonymous #1444043

You better hope you never need a medication to function because you will be up @&@@ creek with no paddle. If a pharmacist is so concerned why don they become doctors then they can use their power trip legitimately

to LadyScot #1471487

Exactly why we all need (and are) to file COMPLAINTS with our states' pharmacy and medical boards against each pharmacist who does this. And corporate does listen...

I never use either Walgreens or CVS due to all the rules they have. Go to a independent Mom and Pop Pharmacy depending on your insurance they will usually fill it 9 or 10 days before the due date no problem at all.

to Anonymous Utica, New York, United States #1244636

Don't forget that 6 months out of the year there are 31 days and Feb. Is usually 28.

So if your script is always for 30 days..you will eventually be short 4 doses. I have never found a physician who writes a script for a calendar month and changes it to 31 as needed.

to Anonymous Naples, Florida, United States #1302543

Since a script duration is for DAYS supply and NOT for MONTHS supply, the fact that some months are longer or shorter has no bearing whatsoever. 30 days is 30 days whether you are into two months or just one.

to Anonymous #1444045

I was just denied a refill today because February has 28 days. Have to wait two more days.

When I questioned why I didn’t get a day early in December and January she threw the perscription at me. I hope someone at Walgreens reads this

to Anonymous Naples, Florida, United States #1286517

Not controlled substances or narcotics they won't, and not if the insurance won't allow it on other medications, they won't.

to LadyScot #1352978

Man, I don't like you. And I'm a newcomer, just happened upon this because I'm pissed at Walgreens.

For a completely different reason but I just found this thread interesting. You need that big stick removed from your *** Lady.

to Anonymous #1397813

I don't like her either. haha. Imagine living with her!!

to Anonymous #1417468

Yea, im sure her "friends"even dodge her in a store..lol..or better yet you know her family cant stand her.. nobody likes a know it all, that has no clue..

but pushes her opinion on you..that's obviously way out there.. we all know people like that..and typically live alone.. for a reason.. and have lots of cats..

and the smell of amonia would burn your eyes.. but not them they are immune and look at you like what's wrong with your eyes..must be all those narcotics you are filling early..

then sits down in a litter box and eats her sandwich.. hahaha!!

to Anonymous #1471491

She's probably a walgreens employee. *** of the earth

AnonMouse

You're expecting anything LESS from Walgreens? Was with them for a time and I would call ahead to see if my meds were ready?

'Yes, they're ready'.

I get in: 'Oh sorry, we don't have them ready yet'. Only met my deductible ONCE with them-I meet it all the time with where I am now and I would never go back

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States #1226161

Refilling 5 days early every month for 6 months.

Month 1: 30

Month 2: 35

Month 3: 40

Month 4: 50

Month 5: 60 Month 6: 70 By the 6 month mark you would have a whole month worth, and no need to refill (pharma logic).

to Urb #1313334

That's what I was thinking. Why did he need to fill 5 days early all the time?

He said he was going to be out. No using the meds acccording to prescription and killing it for legit patients who do. Calling BS on the 5 days.

My mom might need them early 1-2 days couple times a year due to travel or just convenient to pick up since she is physically hurting but 5 days over and over. *** NO!

Baltimore, Maryland, United States #1218543

It was because u did it to many months in a row rite aid iis good with filling early switch every other month n u have no problem