Jacksonville Beach, Florida
69.3K views

I have been filling a prescription for a controlled substance through a Walgreens pharmacy for six months now. Each month the prescription has been filled 3-7 days early with no problem whatsoever.

Prior to this, the prescription had been filled at a CVS pharmacy for years. I changed pharmacies only because I moved. I have had the same doctor prescribing this for about five years now. I have never had a problem filling this prescription before this month.

I called Walgreens to have my prescription filled five days early. My insurance company already cleared that it would be covered. The pharmacy tech put it through and said it would be ready in about an hour. Two hours later I called the pharmacy as I still had not received a text message saying that it was ready.

I was then informed by the pharmacy tech that it could not be filled yet because it was five days too soon. I was told in order to have it filled sooner, my doctor's office would need to call and release the prescription early. I had my doctor's office call Walgreens to do so. Walgreens then sends my refill history and asks them if they were aware that I have been filling early.

My doctors office still wanted the prescription released and suggested that I have it filled weekly instead of monthly then. The pharmacist states that this would be inconvenient to me WITHOUT CONSULTING ME. It is four days early and I have yet to have my prescription filled. Today I called the Walgreens pharmacy to ask that the prescription be filled tomorrow on the 30th day.

I explained my confusion and frustration regarding that inconsistency and she hung up on me. I was not expletive or yelling. After this I finally called the corporate Walgreens office and filed a formal complaint. My complaint was documented and I was assured someone will call me back within two business days.

Why is this a problem? Because this "controlled substance" is a medication I cannot just be off of for 5 days and not have consequences. This controlled substance comes with a dependence on the medication which does not make me a criminal of a druggie. This is a prescription from a reputable doctor that I need.

I don't feel that Walgreens should have exhibited this type of control over medication out of the blue. If it was fine for the past six months to fill early, why isn't it now? I should have been told that filling early was an "exception" they were making.

Because of their inconsistency I have been hospitalized for withdrawal side effects and have missed work. This is unacceptable.

Comments

Baltimore, Maryland, United States #1218543

It was because u did it to many months in a row rite aid iis good with filling early switch every other month n u have no problem

#1204940

I agree that sucks and something similar happened to me with Walgreen the location in hoover al told me they would fill my rx five days early but the location right down the road from me...which is a thousand times more convenient...says only two days while I know this is not nearly as bad as what you went through I work out of town ALOT and if they won't do it tomorrow which is three days early then I'll have to go through the trouble of finding a location out of town and having it transferred..all of that *** so you're story was a little familiar and I totally agree with you...

If they've been filling it on a schedule for a few months than you would obviously be out therefore they shouldn't be able to surprise you with that.

Farmington, Connecticut, United States #1200904

Welcome to the world of controlled substances. The rules really are filled on the 30th day for almost all pharmacies, there are a lot of federal regulations the pharmacies must follow, they have become paranoid due to the Feds cracking down on pharmacies in Florida on controlled substances.

I have Ben taking a class 2 substance like you for 10 years. There is no question that you were at one time fortunate to be able to pick up 5 days early, to me that is amazing considering how most pharmacies treat class 2 patients especially CVS they will and feel they have the right to treat you like a second class, druggie, or *** bag doesn't matter to them they don't give a *** if you have cancer etc... Some get a little power like that and will abuse their position I could tell you some stories that would make your head spin regarding CVS. Accept it-you can't fight it-unless your a congressman and even then you wouldn't be able to change it.

Be careful how you go about this, don't *** off your Dr or pharmacist or u will get cut off. Yes be paranoid and subservient and learn to get use to people being way to judge mental and learn to grovel a lot and get use to the extreme social stigma, but play by the rules and pace yourself on your meds so they last 30 days or you will eventually get thrown into the gutter no matter what your medical situation is. No one really cares they don't have to experience what your going through, they won't care and if you Become to aggressive in trying to get your meds.

It will not end well for you. That's my best advice I can give having successfully navigated my path for the last 10 years

#1119482

Look at it this way: You refill the script early for MONTHS. 5 days is alot of medication.

Theoretically you should have EXTRA medication, since you have been refilling so early for so long.

The question is, where is the medication going that you need to refill it so early for? If you take it as directed you have a 30 day supply, no problem.

to Anonymous #1122705

Your logic is flawed. They get 30 pills.

When they are down to 5 pills they get 30 more. They now have 35 pills. In 30 days they will have 5 pills left. Guess what?

That's right, it's now still 5 days "early". They aren't getting the Rx filled every 25 days, jack ***.

to Anonymous #1226160

Refilling 5 days early every month.

Month 1: 30

Month 2: 35

Month 3: 40

Month 4: 50

Month 5: 60 Month 6: 70 By the 6 month mark they would have a whole months worth, and no need to refill (pharma logic).

to Anonymous Wilmington, Delaware, United States #1243929

Every month has only 30 days in it? I could have sworn it was 31/30/31/30???

Or no!!! So in 6 months, every other month you need extra. If he is like I am I hate having to run out day of, it's inconvenient and sometimes impossible for me to get to the store. Some days pain is worse than others!

Sometimes I don't need to take any at all, but don't give them any reason to decide whether i should or shouldn't be able to get my meds. They are not doctors, if so what are they doing at the pharmacy and not a hospital!?!

They think they are god by really they just aren't smart enough to be a doctor! Honestly if they think they should or shouldn't give meds out regardless of doctors say, they need to be fired immediately!

to Anonymous #1127190

No your both wrong above and below because according to my pain management Dr. he WILL only write for qnty 120 as it covers him, YOU & myself, from the "DEA" being informed about the Rx (15mg oxycodone) in question.

I know for a FACT that my insurance will pay 7-9 days early for ALL of my meds, but it is up to the Pharmecy "POLICE". So if my Dr. would simply add 1 extra pill a day to my script I WOULD BE GOLDEN, but he is, in his logic, covering his & YOURS behinds from the DEA being notified about the Fx in question. So, sadly enough, ive had to turn to heroin to help my pain & withdrawal effects, because YOU ALL feel like authority figures on said subject.

So, at the rate of overdoses due to heroin, i will likely be DEAD by 2017. My family & 2 lil girls have you thank for this end case scenario.

to Anonymous Auburndale, Florida, United States #1219573

I totally agree with you on your situation. Unfortunately people that are not on medications or some N.A.

know it all (not talking about all N.A. goer's that practice princibles before personalities!!) there is going to be alot of peopl turning to blackmarket substances. Such as herion. That is another habit that is more deathly than giving you 1 - 5 more pills per a script.

It boils down to no one really gives a @$!# about you but you. And loved ones.

to Anonymous #1223798

So dont take heroin that is nobodys fault, it is your decision. Doctors give a set amount per month, if you do not follow the instructions and take more than prescribed, you run out early.

No whos fault is that?

YOURS! So dont blame others for your choice to turn to heroin

to Anonymous Lewiston, New York, United States #1275273

Nobody forced to to go to heroine u should of asked for help or something else N N if u die cause YOU took to much that's on u to. Free will....you have it. Take what u need to feel ok N them fight like he'll for that family N yourself and take responsibility for ur own actions.

to Anonymous #1627301

I get you have pain, but you are being INCREDIBLY selfish using heroin. You have TWO girls..

and already know that it can kill you. That isn’t ANYONES fault but yours. My mom used heroin, almost died... within 6wks of using it she was in a coma...

don’t play with this drug.

Use a different pharmacy. Don’t be a statistic.

Chelmsford, Massachusetts, United States #1099169

I am dying of severe genetic heart disease at 43. I was fit, healthy & never took a flipping Tylenol before...After 4 heart attacks, I have such severe chest pain every day, my life is essentially over already.

I don't look all that sick on the outside but nonetheless I am terminally ill. I get treated like absolute ***, a criminal & a junkie at Walgreens just by refilling my ONE pain med I take until hospice takes over. I am going to die yet my pharmacist insists on making the end of my life ***. I cry every time after leaving that place.

I have never abused a drug in my life.

I hope he someday has to deal with a life ending disease. I hope its miserable & he's denied meds.

to LLC #1442261

U need to hold your head up high. Don’t let it get to u.

Why waste a minute of your life caring about what they think. Go through the drive thru and paste a big *** smile on your face. They are not worth your tears or time. Same experience of shame here until I realized they have the problem not me it is a simple medication that is needed and your are entitled to not live in pain.

Period. Keep your chin up and enjoy the time you have!

The pharmacist is just following the law. Just recently the drug laws have been tightened, making it legally impossible for them to fill the drug early.

to Anonymous Wilmington, Delaware, United States #1200424

You are incorrect. It isn't against the law to fill medications early.

Just make sure you know your facts prior to making a statement. It is frowned upon, and can lead to narcotic units and potentially dea investigations, but there is no law stating it cannot be filled early

LadyScot

How are you going through withdrawals if you are having your script consistently filled early? You should have more than enough to last you through the wait time. Controlled medications are not supposed to be filled early, (unless you have a valid need such as vacation or change in dosage) and if they have been, it looks like they caught up to you.

My complaint is they won't fill the script on the day it is supposed to be filled unless it is after 8 am that day. Why bother with 24 hour stores if you are not able to get the script filled?

LadyScot
to Anonymous #1136057

Most likely they need that hour or hours to catch up from the scripts faxed or called in on the IVR from the night before.

I have the same problem.

With CalOptima Pace.

I am sick of this

program and will be

leaveing the program.

They tell you when you can have a smoke or anything. It is called 1 at 1.