Spring Hill, Florida

I have been a loyal Walgreens customer for over 20 years. Now they are refusing to fill my medication saying " I don't meet the guidelines".

The last 2 months the pharmacist on staff at the time said he would fill it for me. After waiting for over an hour, I went to pick it up...only to be turned away. When I inquired about the problem, the pharmacist was extremely rude and refused to explain. If there is not already a petition to either boycott or demand change, I believe one should be started.

I have read thousands of similar complaints. The pharmacist has also told my family member who is disabled and has many problems, that they are prescribed too much medication. They are not doctors, nor do they know anything about the medical diagnosis of patients. I have had enough!

Have you? Let's do something about it.

By the way...when I called Corparate, the said they don't get involved with pharmacy. Who do the pharmacists answer to?

Product or Service Mentioned: Walgreens Pharmacist.

• family member

Comments

Pharmacists are doctors. Sometimes they refuse to fill if a patient is on too much or.has obtained too many controlled substances.

Also, they know A LOT more aboit mesications than doctors do. I work with doctors and pharmacists :)

brianww777
@Whitney

That is not correct. Most pharmacists hold a Pharm D degree, which simply means they have completed six-years of college coursework.

A physician holds a M.D. degree, which requires eight to twelve years of education.

It's like comparing apples and oranges. Not too long ago, it only required four-years of college to become a licensed pharmacist.

#652005
@brianww777

You are wrong. Pharmacists hold doctorate degrees, too. Pharmacists know more about medications than most physicians, that is also a fact.

@brianww777

Pharmacists have the right to turn away any prescription if they believe the medication therapy is inappropriate. A pharmacy isn't a public industry.

Yes, they follow regulations set by state and federal entities, but each one is a private business (except in the case of a county hospital having outpatient services). You may have a piece of paper, which is your "permission slip," from a doctor allowing you to receive a medication, but it is the pharmacist's license that is on the line if any adverse or unintended event were to occur from the filling of that medication.