Fort Pierce, Florida

I was discharged from the hospital on 7/11/2014 after suffering a TIA stroke. I was discharged with2 prescriptions, one of which was for Lyrica, an anti-depressant used to treat pain associated with peripheral neuropathy and the other to treat high cholesterol. I attempted to fill my Lyrica prescription at a local Walgreens. However, when I presented the prescription to the pharmacist, I asked for a price on the prescription. The pharmacist Marlon Francis, then asked if I was uninsured. I replied no, I had insurance which was on file with them. He responded it would take him 5-10 minutes to obtain the information. So, I politely waited and while I was doing so, I heard the Mr. Francis on the phone with the hospital I was just discharged from, Lawnwood Regional. He then returned to me and asked if I had been admitted to the hospital or had just been treated in the ER. I replied that I was admitted and he countered by asking what floor of the hospital I had stayed on. I supplied the information and he returned to his phone call with the hospital. At this point, I asked him, if he was calling the hospital on my behalf. He said yes and when I asked why he was calling, he stated "We cannot dispense a controlled substance with the prescription you have because it was prescribed by a nurse practitioner.” I was confused at this point because I didn’t think that Lyrica was a controlled substance. I also felt that Mr. Francis’ attitude towards me had been rude and unprofessional. I felt like I was being interrogated about how I acquired a legitimate prescription like I was a criminal.

If Mr. Francis had just advised me of what information he needed and why, I would have been more than happy to provide it to him. Instead I felt like he believed every word coming of my mouth was a lie and that he was out to trip me up somehow. At this point I reminded him I still just need a price on the prescriptions which he finally provided me with but at this point I was so upset by how I had been treated (I was in tears) I just took my prescriptions back and left.

People that come into a pharmacy to fill a prescription are generally ill. To treat sick people like they are doing something wrong just by trying to obtain the medications that are prescribed for them is a problem they don’t need. In the past I’ve had Lyrica prescribed to me by a nurse practitioner without being interrogated and treated like a criminal.

Product or Service Mentioned: Walgreens Pharmacist.

Comments

When the pharmacist called the hospital and asked about the script, the hospital needs to know what floor. They have different floors for different things.

They probably needed to know so they can transfer them to the floor that nurse was working on so they could find out who the supervising physician is. I think for some reason this person is overly sensitive.

to Anonymous #841736

Before you go around judging anyone you should realize that sometimes with out medication people can get overly sensitive, or perhaps that is a side effect. Put yourself in that person's shoes before judging it makes you look foolish.

"pharmacies need to be aware of their own state rules in addition to HIPAA’s, and must always follow the rule that is more stringent. In some cases, a state law might require specific patient consent for release of certain types of information."

as in most hospital settings NPs have an agreement with a physician who basically co-signs on all of the narcotics they prescribe the phone call only needs to confirm this NO FLOOR IS NECESSARY NO WERE YOU ADMITTED OR NOT IS NECESSARY a very short brief conversation with the hospital does mary sue work at general hospital who is signing off dr can you fax me over a copy of that!!

end of conversation!!!!!!!! fill script!!!!!!!!!!!

Hippa law clearly states they can share info with other health care professionals. Get you're facts straight.

And you have to have a dea in order to write for a controlled substance. In most states nurses don't have dea. Only drs. They can write for antibiotics and simple stuff.

Not lyrica though. The pharmacist was probably trying to tell the hospital they need a drs dea to fill the rx.

to Anonymous #843203

Yes than can share the info but only if they have a signed release from the person.If they do not have that signed release in hand then yes if the hospital gave them any info they are breaking the law.

to me #843459

I have been a pharmacist for 27 years and am very familiar with HIPAA. To clarify, since there seems to be some incorrect information on here I want to assure you that no signed release is required for a pharmacist to get information from another healthcare provider to fill a patient's prescription.

That is absolutely allowed by HIPAA. Vice versa we share patient information with the hospital. Many times a patient comes to the ER and the staff calls the pharmacy for medication information. Would you really want the ER to have to have a signed release?

What if the patient is incoherent, or unconscious?

Communication between healthcare providers in order to appropriately treat a patient is absolutely allowed under HIPAA.

to Anonymous California, United States #871775

All that for a Schedule V (5) drug. Doesn't the RPH have the ability to dispense C5 meds like Prometh w/ codeine at their discretion ? Even without a script for small amounts?

for some reason they think they are GOD. and if he really thought that the prescription was a fraud he should have been calling the police and let them do the investigation he has no right at all to ask you what floor you were on.

as a matter of fact he can't even ask what you were in the hospital for!!

You would have to give written consent for him to know anything about you at all and if the hospital released any information about you except that you were here they are liable for a law suit.

Rebelchick
to Anonymous #845617

And just what do YOU know about this? He has every right to ask questions.

No one is going to call the police before they try to find the info out themselves, you ***. He doesn't have to ask why the person was in the hospital either. That is irrelevant. What is important is the piece of paper that that prescription is written on, what it's for and who wrote it.

This is the law! You are a complete and utter ***! You obviously know nothing about working in a pharmacy.

Well I do and I'm also a retired cop so I know what this person is entitled to ask and the legalities therein. Now have a cookie and shut up, Perry Mason wanna be!

Call your insurance if you need to know what your copay is right away. The pharmacy doesn't know until it has been processed, not immediately after you hand it to them.

If the hospital gave him any info about you they just broke a ton of hippa laws.

to me #840518

Exactly, this is why I find this story false. The hospital is not going to break the law, I have a feeling this was written by an ex employee who does not know hospital patient confindetially laws. They would have looked less foolish if they did their research.