1.5

My Son purchased a visa gift card from Walgreens (Florida). Unbeknownst to him, there is a $4.95 "activtion" fee for the $50 Visa card.

Techinically an 11% annual interest rate to use your own money. I give you a $50 bill and ask for change, you give me 4 $10 5 $1 and 5 cents. Example: You keep the rest because you gave me change. One the back of the receipt for this purchase it states clearly "Your staisfaction is very important ...you may return it for exchange or refund within 30 days...with original receipt...for refund...original method of payment..." I have the original receipt.

I asked for the $50 to be credit back to my sons's account or to my credit card or to cash. I was refused by two stores and by corporate customer service. I have been told at the stores (2) locally and by corporate that their policy is they do not take back gift cards even if the card has not been activated. This card has not been activated.

I was told at the customer serice number (1-800-Walgreens) the same thing. It is as though a button is pushed and the same words come out of everyone. I asked to talk with a manager. I was transferred to the ecalation dept.

The same button, the same words. I am outraged at the fee. It would seem to be a usury violation or at least usurious to Walgreen customers. I mentioned the receipt that says I can get a refund, I mentioned that the four stores in this area and in Florida where it was purchased there is not signage that indicates you can not return gift cards.

The response was they will write up the stores. I think it is a coporate policy to deceive their customers. I want to give them this non activated card returned and the money given back to me.

I have been attempting to get this done since December 20 without success. I am more than frustrated.

Product or Service Mentioned: Gift Card.

Reason of review: Usury violation.

Walgreens Cons: Abuse customers, Get the run around or they seem to be annoy.

Comments

Nothing to do with Walgreens...Contact The card company and complain about the fees. No store will return the card.

Don't like it?

pay cash the next time--learn to read the info on the card. Its states the fees right on the front of the card.

Columbus, Ohio, United States #1280011

1. This isn't a Walgreens issue.

NO retailer will allow a prepaid card return.

2. If you can read, you'll see the activation fee printed on the front of the packaging.

Ever heard of a debit card? It blows my mind when you people like you use these cards, then cry like a little girl about the fees associated with them.

Those Visa gift cards state the activation fee on the package by Visa. All the prepaid gift cards like Visa, Mastercard, and American Express state the activation fee as they all have activation fees.

That's how it is at any other retail store which sells these prepaid gift cards.

If for some unlikely reason your Visa gift card did not state a fee on the package, then that's an issue to take up with Visa.

As for returning said gift card, you stated part of the return policy which also states, "We reserve the right to limit or refuse a refund." Most, if not all, businesses don't let you return gift cards, nor reloadable prepaid cards and phone cards.