I have Been filling my pain medication at the same walgreen's for more than 2 years without a problem, but today when I went to my refills, I was informed that they had a new policy. This new policy demands that anyone receiving pain medication must have their doctor call and tell them what illness you have and why you need the same said pain medication for more than a year if there was no change in your condition!

These new walgreen's have nurse practitioners who now think themselves as full doctors or want to play doctor! I was outraged and said who were they to need to know what sickness I have or why I must be on this medication for more than a year! I said that they had NO BUSNISSNESS to know what sickness I'm suffering from and that once they verify that my doctor and my prescriptions were indeed legit, that there job was to fill my legal prescriptions!! I know that it was a bad move to have super drug store chains to open these family health centers in the stores, I knew it didn't sit right with me for some reason.

Due to my fear of being "flagged" a drug seeker, I was trying to be polite and wanted to gather as much information as possible for my lawyer come Monday morning, so I asked why they are doing this. Her response: ""They are working directly with the DEA in order to cut back on the amount of pain medication that people are receiving and to make sure that doctors are prescribing pain medication for good reason or to possibly rethink if it was needed""!!!!!!!!!!!There you have it people, another intimidation factor and to make it even harder to receive the medication we can not function without. I was in agony for almost 2 hours waiting for my doctor's office to call back as it was 6pm.I hate that I'm so afraid of being wrongfully flagged a drug seeker... I'm sick of being afraid and intimidated by these pharmacies who now have way too much control over our lives!!!

If they flag you, there is almost nothing you can do, even if by chance you find out that they flag you in the first place. If they do, it will make it that much harder and I can barely deal with how hard it is now to fill my prescriptions as it is each month!!!!!!!!!!People, this is getting completely out of hand but I blame all of us for not fighting these new policies with one voice because soon you will not be able to get pain medication without having a RIF CHIP suck up your *** and a monitoring bracelet placed on your leg like a common criminal.

I'm getting in touch with my lawyer and will be taking this a far a I can... I'm sick of being sick and because of my illness I'm now treated like either a 2nd class citizen or criminal!!!!!!

Comments

to Anonymous #674810

If the script required a diagnosis code, it's usually because the insurance wants it (the will only cover certain medications for certain diseases or disorders) The only Walgreens that have nurse practitioners are the stores that have mini clinics in them, and they have nothing to do with the pharmacy. The DEA is enforcing new regulations because of what happened at six Walgreens locations in Florida where they were filling excessive amounts of pain medications for pill mill doctors, giving out scripts for whatever the patient wanted. It is only a matter of time before the DEA makes all pharmacies follow this policy in an effort to lower the number of people that abuse prescription meds. We have more of those people in America than anywhere in the world and doctors are handing out these scripts left and right for people that do not need them. Walgreens and the DEA are just trying to make sure that only people with real pain are getting the medications.

At the end of the day none of this makes sense and none of it is fair!!!... Walgreens is in trouble for something they did, why does EVERYONE have to suffer??? If they would have not been so greedy and taken out the time then and paid attention to their customers that was coming to them by the car loads from all those pill mills, then they would have noticed the "real druggies"... Im not discriminating on anybody but surely there is a difference between someone in a wheel chair,or elderly, been a customer for years, or has pain and agony written all over their face vs a dude or girl coming in with their lovers, smelling like beer, looking like the night before, joking around, happy , and laughing at nothing in particular.... Im just wondering... you say that they are doing this for good reason and so that the real people with pain can get their rx but judging from self experience and about 500 post online blasting walgreens (NOBODY IS GETTING THEM) and that sucks for the real people.... so who are the real people???? it seems instead of me putting gas in my car and going to my dr's appt, and paying a copay, i should just go straight to the pharmacist, stand in front of him tell him whats wrong and let him decide if i need something for pain or not sense they have the ultimate decission anyway :( :? :?

to Anonymous #1044694

aynotowallgreens to Anonymous 5 minutes ago

The above is not true here. Walgreens has a history of this behavior.

They have complaints from hospice patients, etc. Never try to fill a scheduled med from Walgreens. They will require medical records from your dr that are none ofir b Their pharmacists try to practice medicine without a license. This has nothing to do with a code not written on the script.

The company was nailed years ago for filling obvious fake scripts.

Now they just won't fill without a rectal and pap in store first!!!

If you do have an attorney I would do something! Write the paper, congressman or congresswoman, etc. We must speak up.

It's sad that they couldn't have made some realistic changes after they got in trouble. Instead, they went too far.