Ocala, Florida
3.5K views

My husband I went to a Walgreens, located Clovis NM on 02/11/2012. Upon deciding what alcoholic beverages I would purchase (writing a personal check in my name only) both my husband and I were asked for ID.

This was fine, I am 49 with a valid drivers license reflecting this and my husband is 54 and his license had actually expired 01/23/2012 to our surprise. The clerk would not sell to me at this time; therefore I returned in my own vehicle approx 15 minutes later without my husband, alone, to have a night manager state it would be 24 hour until I was allowed to make a purchase or I could return with my husband and a valid ID for him to make my purchase. I reminded the manager this was Saturday night and the DMV was not an option, furthermore tomorrow was Sunday. How unreasonable was that suggestion!!

This 24 hour wait is not reflective of any NM Law regarding alcohol purchase to my knowledge… I am definitely of age to make alcoholic purchases and my husband proved/provided proof of his age regardless of his drivers license being expired. I could except the Walgreens policy being enforced if he had no license with him…I am not unreasonable. He looks his age; but I could understand it.

He was not the one making the purchase…even with his expired license he had every right to accompany me in making MY purchase. I hope people will read this and force Walgreens Corporate to change their policy.

Product or Service Mentioned: Walgreens Manager.

Comments

I believe that they are scanning licenses and sharing with the Police Department in whatever area you live in so that the PD have a right to stop you and give you the alcohol tests. Just a theory of mine.

New York City, Manhattan, the following happened to me at Duane Reade/Walgreens 2 days ago.=

Me and my wife (we are both in our 40s) went in, shopped and at checkout one of the items was a 6 pack of beer. the cashier asked for BOTH of our IDs, I told him I was buying the beer and there should be no need to take/see my wifes ID.

he stated that this was how it goes, i was infuriated, i asked for the "manager" who slowly strolled to the register area when called and he stated that this is policy, I asked him what if my wife were to walk out right now then?? He told me sale to me would still be denied!! WTF??!! so if i shop with my 12 year old daughter, i can not complete my shopping (purchase beer) because MY CHILD is present and too young???!!!

She IS NOT the one that wi;ll be drinking ANY alcoholic beverage. this needs to be fixed appropriately....

I had a similar experience. However, if a child enters the store with you and the child does not enter the liquor sales area but meets you to leave it is OK. that doesn't make sense.

As someone who has worked as a liquor store cashier I can assure you that the clerks who ID you take absolutely no pleasure in doing so. We dread it actually.

There is always the possibility that we're going to be berated and belittled by obnoxious customers who know that we are powerless to do anything but smile and take it. Cashiers do not make corporate policy. They only follow it. Please don't take your frustration out on people who are only doing their jobs (usually minimum wage jobs that their working out of desperation).

It's not their fault that you're too disfunctional to get you ID renewed. You people must live very privileged lives if being refused a sale at a liquor store is some kind of traumatic experience by you standards. Calm down.

Dang. Y'all need Jesus.

@Anonymous

All that truly needs to be said, the fact of the matter is: Your RIGHTS use them or LOSE them.

Same thing just happen to my spouse and I, it was unbelievable I was paying I was in line I had my id and this was my only attempt to by any alcoholic drink (Beer). I am speechless and upset.

As a Walgreen's employee in California (varies by statae?) we are required by WALGREENS to I.D. anyone who appears under 40 for alcohol or tobacco products.

This can be very arbitrary. If he/she appears younger than 40, we type the birth date into the register, not the license or I.D. #. I feel ridiculous asking for I.D.

from people who buy cigs every other day, but one is shown a threatening video of an employee being hamburgerd and arrested for not following policy. I certainly don't badger people who are obviously senior citizens, but maybe other states require this.

companies now put the burden on employees. if a wrong transaction were made the employee not the store will get fined and possibly jailed. thank insurance companies who force this.

My Husband and I just came back from Walgreens in WV. We are both regulars at the location its usually the same cashier so I left my purse at home.My husband grabbed some snacks and cigarettes.

He was paying with his own debit card. I don't smoke and they would not sale the cigarettes to him since I did not have my ID clearly she could see i had no purse and no pockets. I can understand carding is very important but I was not the one buying the cigarettes. I was very embarrassed.

we asked for a manager who stating it was not a state law that it was in Walgreens employee training.

Its company policy to card anyone looking under the age of 40 and those in accompaniment with a person making the transaction, be it a parent/child mix or a group of friends. People tend to like their jobs enough and not want to go to prison for a simple miss-judgment.

@SomeOneElse

Well, you love to argue that Target is free to scan your id because "it's the new electronic future" and every store is going to this method.

Why doesn't this apply to Walgreens too?

Talk about a hypocrite! and a LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This past weekend I went into Walgreens with my 16 year old child. We had some pictures printed and then I was trying to buy a 12 pack.

They would not sell it to me because my 16 year old child was with me. That is positivly insane!!!!

Was I buying it for him. ***, I would have left him in the car if I was going to be *** enough to do something like that.

On a similar note, the drug store chain CVS is hoinpg to open up a store in the village of Ossining at the Chilimark Plaza on Pleasnatville Road. They would be taking over(among other shops)a long-time locally owned and operated pharmacy at that location (though this place is quite expensive).

It will, of course, have a drive thru. Many locals are against it for the additional traffic, which is already busy enough there. The parking lot is poorly laid out, if you can imagine that. CVS already has a drive thru store, and quite a busy one, on the other side of town.

One of big reasons that I resfuse to willfully shop at CVS is that they sell cigarettes.

What an irony for an establishments that sells pills and medications for sick people to be selling cancer sticks. shame on them.

hollins1

If WALGREEN'S EMPLOYEE'S ARE SO AFRAID OF SELLING ALCOHOL AND CIG.STOP SELLING THE PRODUCT PERIOD.THE WALGREEN'S I SHOP AT DOES NOT ASK FOR ID.THEY SELL YOU WHAT YOU REQUEST AND LET YOU BE GONE.EVIDENTLY SOMEONE IN THAT LOCATION IS SELLING TO MINOR'S.ANYONE WHO CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AND ADULT AND A MINOR THEIR IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THEM.ALSO IF THE EMPLOYEE'S ARE AFRAID TO SELL THE PRODUCT'S TO CUSTOMER'S.THEY NEED TO BE WATCHED VERY CAREFULLY,BECAUSE THEY ARE PROBABLY THE ONE'S SELLING TO A MINOR.SIMPLE.IT DOES NOT TAKE THE SKY TO FALL ON YOUR HEAD TO KNOW THIS.I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY PEOPLE AFRAID OF THEIR JOB'S.WHAT'S UP WITH THAT.COMMON SENSE PEOPLE.COMMON SENSE.WTF IS GOING ON AT WALGREEN'S.MAYBE THE WHOLE BUSINESS NEED'S TO BE CLOSED.I AM SO HAPPY I DO NOT HAVE TO DEPEND ON WALGREEN'S TO BUY ANYTHING.THIS MAKE'S NO SENSE AT ALL.

@hollins1

We are nervous be suse we can get fined, jailed, or lose our jobs if caught selling to a minor. And you, Buddy, have a serious attitude problem.

I have been a Walgreens employee for almost 5 years now in a newer store. I dreaded the day our store started selling alcohol, for several reasons.

Mainly because of all the liability issues, which I will address in just a second. First of all, the employee has the right to ask for everyone's ID during the transaction, and is obligated to ask for everyone's ID if there's suspision of buying for someone underage. And to clarify, an expired ID is NOT a valid ID and the employee MUST refuse the sale if an invalid form of ID is presented. Back to the liability issues, did you ever stop and think that maybe the reason why we follow these "rediculous laws" so closely is because the consequences for not following them are extremely severe??

I'm not sure how it is in other places but I know where I live, every employee has to go as far as obtaining a bar tending license just to sell alcohol in our store. Along with this comes the same responsibilies as a bar tender. We cannot "over serve" someone, or sell alcohol to an intoxicated person. If we do and they consume it, get into an accident and kill someone, THE EMPLOYEE CAN BE HELD RESPONSIBLE.

Granted, refusing a sale for an expired ID isn't as dramatic. But these laws aren't put into place to upset people, they're to protect people. Quite frankly, making an illegal alcohol sale isn't worth my job nor being held responsible for the reckless decisions of another person.

Please think before you get upset at any retail employee. They're just doing their job.

@Walgreens Employee

NOT LAWS TO CARD EVERYONE IN ANY STATE> JUST WHAT WALGREENS MADE UP Be smart shop any place but there

@Walgreens Employee

If I had to take a bar tending course just to be a clerk at Walgreens I would take the course and then become a bartender. They make MUCH more money.

@thisisabsurd

I am a bartender. I don't really make that much more than some retail clerks.

Plus some corporations like Walgreens offer health insurance that I don't get.

To set it straight for everyone.

Walgreens, CVS, and several other retailers have had issues with employees selling cigs and booze to minors. A lot of states have laws written that if a store has an infraction regarding this, then ALL cig/booze purchases must have license info keyed. To reject you after an initial issue with an expired license (you're both adults so there's no excuse to have it expire) is following the letter of the law to the T