I visited this location for the first time on March 15, 2013, at 6am, and was met with the most beautiful, modern decor. However my experience at the Pharmacy was a disgrace.

The Pharmacist on duty, Russell, was speaking with a male customer when I approached and continued to carry on a conversation about his treatment towards a homeless woman who visited the store recently for approx. 10-13mins. And when Russell finally said his goodbyes to this customer I walked to the counter to present him with my script;needless to say, I expected the same friendly persona but received nothing. I had to greet him initially with "good morning".

Russell typed my info in the computer, asked for my DOB, the usual formality....then Russell stated that Walgreens has a new policy that he wasn't sure if I knew about. Apparently, per Russell, this policy requires all pain Rxs be called into the doctor for authorization AND that the doctor provide a daignosis and reason for the Rx PLUS he informed me this could take 1-2 days and proceeded to ask me if I wanted to still leave it with him. Huh?! Despite my 1 1/2 year history of getting this exact script filled at Walgreens, Russell held firm to this obvious lie and went even further to insult my intelligence by apologizing and that it's a new policy.

I knew instantly that he was not being truthful and, for whatever reason, did not want to fill my script. It wasn't fraudulent or suspicious, and neither was I. I took a 25min cab ride to this 24hr store location hoping to fill my script before work, only to be lied to directly to my face because Russell felt like playing God, Judge and Mr. Deceit for reasons that I am still unclear about.

These Pharmacists are taking it upon themselves to determine who should and should not get a script filled in their store based on their own ignorance and prejudices and it is punishing loyal Walgreens customers like myself. Well, I went to a different Walgreens and had my script filled that same morning and not one word was mentioned about this "new policy" that required my doc's authorization and explanation for my medication....and when I asked about this "new policy" this Pharmacist had no idea what policy I was referring to - maybe because this policy was invented upon my arrival at Russell's Walgreens.

This store may be a beauty on the exterior but the service I received was dishonest and it's people like Russell, with their hypocritical stereotypes, that allows the real junkies to continue doing what they do.

Review about: Walgreens Pharmacist.

Comments

Don't hate at the pharmacist... Go spend your time to stop the illegitimate users/abusers who make it so highly regulated.

I'm a pharmacist and it's miserable to have to deal with all the policy that is in place just because of the druggies.

San Antonio, Texas, United States #698451

There is no such policy at walgreens, at least not the one I work at but if the pharmacist has a reason to believe the RX is questionable, he does have the right and duty to verify with a doctor. This, however, does not include inquiring about the reason it was prescribed, that's between you and your doctor.

It's your doctor's job to know what ailments you have and its the pharmacist's job to dispense the medications that the dr orders, along with counseling pts on the proper use of said substances and verifying that they are being used correctly. Unless it pertains to or contradicts with other medications being taken by the pt, the pharmacist does not to need to know a pt's diagnosis. That's not his or her job.

Hence that's why there are doctors. Pharmacists are pharmaceutical, not medical, experts.

LadyScot sucks! She knows all about narcotics because she is an addict.

LadyScot is stealing all the narcotics for herself. Beware, walgreens hires ignorant low class people like LadyScot that like to use the heroin addict nikki sixx image as their avatar because it best represents her drug induced blabber.

This is just the beginning, there is more to come. U right now have an option to go to another pharmacy, but soon u won't be able to find one who is not hooked up to a national data base that list everything u got ever.

And the pharmacist has to check it before they even think of filling a script.

If they get audited by dew they have to have proof they looked it up and made sure u didn't get it too soon, for legitament reasons, from a dr who is within so many miles from ur address and pharmacy address, and yes they have to call the busy dr and get a diagnosis code and this all must be documented on the rx. Yes even if you've been getting you're whole life they have to or lose their license.

Indianapolis, Indiana, United States #633178

Yes, this is a new policy according to my walgreens, and I received the same treatment. At first, it was only supposed to be controlled substances, even ones I've been on for years.

Now it seems to have spread to everything. It also includes the insurance companies -- the walgreens calls and asks for a diagnosis etc from the (busy) doctor, and the insurance also has to call the doctor and bug him/her. Then when all this has been done, they will fill your prescription.

Add this to the policy that they can't give you your prescription until you are out of it -- and won't even start the validation process until you are out of it -- it can take days to get your medicine.

I have quit going there after ten years or more of business.

LadyScot
Naples, Florida, United States #624287

Let me guess, it was a narcotic. Every pharmacist has the right to verify any script they want for any reason they want. When you spend thousands going to school and risk prison and your license you can do what you want.

The pharmacist was notifying you up front about possible delays. And asking for a diagnosis is also the way the verification is done. There have been many pharmacists who have been jailed for allowing narcotics to be filled from doctors who write them for profit.

No one prescribes Oxies or Roxies for back surgery or car wrecks, yet those are the most common explanations people give us when they try to fill a bogus script. Also, handing a pharmacist a narcotic script with an innocuous script is also a huge tell. No one who is prescribed a Roxie will also be prescribed flexeril at the same time for whatever the liar druggie is claiming they need it for. Seriously people.

to LadyScot Indianapolis, Indiana, United States #633180

I understand there are "druggies" out there. There are also people genuinely in pain who are, indeed, prescribed narcotic pain medicine along with muscle relaxers.

I consider it a breach of privacy for my doctor to even discuss my "diagnosis" with a pharmacist.

It's none of your business, and I'm so outraged by this practice, and by your arrogant comment, that I am going to check with HIPAA policy just to make sure you're not full of it.

to How dare you Indianapolis, Indiana, United States #633183

And as a matter of fact, while I have been on a narcotic and muscle relaxer in the past -- prescribed by my long-time internist -- for acute back pain caused by spondylolisthesis, the medicines in question when all this came up with my local walgreens were ambien and celebrex. So you need to grow up and get a grip.

to LadyScot Greenville, South Carolina, United States #641753

You're a power tripping ***. Just do your job and stop babbling garbage.

You are not qualified to decide what Med is prescribed for which condition. Chronic pain is a DISEASE, not a game. Your comments are despicable.

Bye bye Mr Oxie & Roxie! How unprofessional!

to LadyScot Fair Oaks, California, United States #642094

LadyScot-

Since you seem very knowledgeable about this subject, can you name one of the cases of pharmacists going to jail for filling a legally acquired prescription?

Also, what is Oxycodone and Flexaril prescribed for, if not back surgery or car wrecks (I have no idea what a Roxie is)?

Thanks...

LadyScot
to MrCustomer Naples, Florida, United States #642184

Oxycodone, like Oxycontin, is used for moderate to severe pain continuous pain management, such as with cancer patients, or to be fair, very bad, almost deadly car wrecks, but I was speaking of Oxicontin, The average person involved in a car wreck in the type of pain needed for Oxycontin would not be walking merrily into the pharmacy to fill it. You can tell by a person's actions pretty much whether the script is for sale or legitimate personal use. In the years I have been a pharmacy tech, I have seen maybe 1 in 40 legitimate scripts for narcotics such as Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Morphine, Dilaudid, to name a few. Roxi is the most commonly attempted.

Flexeril is a muscle relaxer, commonly used for pain, but would not be prescribed with an opiate, as mixing the two has a probable chance of severe side effects since both affect your conscious ability to react. In layman's terms, it slows you down, both mentally and physically. Mix a few sleeping pills with a bottle of wine. Sort of the same idea, but on a more severe level.

A Roxi, or Roxicodone, is the street name for Oxycontin. Very valuable on the street. Expensive to buy with a script, but lucrative if you can find a pharmacy that will carry it anymore. Trying to get Roxi's in Florida is like trying to get gold out of your toilet.

to LadyScot Fair Oaks, California, United States #642210

See, this is very interesting. A close friend of mine has been issued hydrocodone (10/325) and flexeril (aka Soma) for a motorcycle accident. He has also been prescribed methadone for his long term pain at the same time.

I myself have been issued flexaril, along with various opioids, for pain associated with needing a hip replacement. I was on Oxycodone for a while (with the flexeril), but didn't like it because it made me itch.

My point all along - doctors can and do prescribe different things for different people - why? Because they're different! And this is why people in the pharmacy should not be making medical decisions on people they just met, know nothing about, and don't have the medical training to make decisions on. That's the doctor's job, and he does it fairly well (although it did take them 1&1/2 years to find the hip problem).

The rest of the stuff-centralized database checking and so on - bring it on! I take my medications as my doctor prescribes, and I don't like druggies either. But I'm really tired of being treated like a criminal every time I go to the *** pharmacy! And when Walgreen tells me, after bringing in my C2 prescription, on day 30, to the same pharmacy I've been going to for 6 years, and getting the same drug I've been getting for 3 years, in the same amount, and for the same dosage, and from the same doctor, and tells me it's going to be a couple of days to fill it because of a new federal law (which it wasn't), and that "I SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT IT IN EARLY", which I've been told forever was a huge NO NO - well frankly, I'm pretty pissed off about. And now. Walgreens won't have to worry about it EVER AGAIN...cause I won't be going there, and hopefully I can convince many, many other people not to go there either!

I think y'all might have cop syndrome - you are starting to see everyone as law breakers. Fortunately for me, (not for you) unlike cops, you don't have a monopoly on my business.

BTW, I'd still like to hear about a pharmacist sent to prison for filling a legal script - my guess is, there's not many cases like that...

to LadyScot #655451

Slashdot is correct about flexeril and oxycontin not being used together. It suppresses all of your systems including your heart rate and your breathing rate which can cause pneumonia and heart problems and even death!

You can go on line to any pharmacy publication and read about the law suits against pharmacist. The most recent one was in Ohio. The pharmacist checked with the Dr for a diagnosis and verified that it wasn't an early refill, but the individual still overdosed and the family is sueing. Pharmacist all over the county are being threatened and yelled at and stauked because of these *** drugs.

If you get an attitude from the pharmacy employee then it is because they are tired of being treated like they don't know what they are doing and that their knowledge is not being used by you. They are the ones who notify your Dr when there is a possible interaction with your drugs that could be fatal. You as the patient who use more than 1 Dr or pharmacy really don't have any idea what danger you are really in. The Dr does not keep up on every drug and the interaction it may have with every drug on the market.

My dad was a Dr and depended on the pharmacist to assist with the treatment of a patient. The problem with walgreens is they have tried to make it like a fast food place. They have you a drive thru. They tell you 15 minutes to get your drug typed, processed thru insurance, verified for mistakes, drug scanned, counted, labeled, filled, and rechecked.

And if YOU don't have your insurance info, is it the pharmacy's responsibility to do your work?!! Take some responsibility for your own health and do your own homework about these meds the Dr is prescribing. Know that your quality of life will be that of a crack or meth user. And I would be careful how loud you are about your medication...you maybe robbed in the parking lot or followed home.

Everyone that has to say "I use this for a real medical reason" or "I'm not one of those drug addicts" then you really are. So sad!!

ellis310835
to LadyScot #642270

"There have been many pharmacists who have been jailed for allowing narcotics to be filled from doctors who write them for profit." I', curious about the validity of this statement, do you have any publication you could reference? I would like to know more about this subject.

Also, "No one who is prescribed a Roxie will also be prescribed flexeril at the same time for whatever the liar druggie is claiming they need it for." Interesting, my aunt who has been in a wheel chair due ot a disease of her spine is prescribed prescribed a narcotic along with flexoril, as well as a couple of other prescriptions. The prescriptions are written by a board certified physician. Frankly, I feel she could use at least one more per day inasmuch as I see her suffering on the days she has taken one in the middle of the night in order to go back to sleep due to the pain waking her up; however, I'm a Doctor of Jurisprudence, so I digress to those who are trained in these matters.

While you clearly think you are a a trained physician, you clearly are not. Nor do you know about proper grammar or sentence structure. I assume based on your posts that you are a pharmacist, more likely a tech, either way, wherever it is that trained you obviously didn't put much weight on communication. Furthermore, typically, intelligent people aren't judgmental, nor are the given to predisposition. Are you perhaps a University of Phoenix graduate?

to ellis310835 Fair Oaks, California, United States #642314

Hey Ellis-

Great Post! I've been asking the same things from LadyScot, but when you have a valid point or question, she seems to shut up fairly quickly. She is a pharmacy tech who works at either Walgreens or Walmart, and seems to think she is some sort of medical doctor, cop, and district attorney all rolled into one.

She replies on almost every entry about Walgreens pharmacy - it makes me wonder if she is a paid employee. It's usually the same - accusing the poster of being a drug addict, along with being obnoxious and impatient.

I'm just glad I finally decided to change pharmacies - and I'm taking as many folks as I can with me!!!

to LadyScot West Palm Beach, Florida, United States #697401

LadyScot- I don't know you & my post is not about judging you. I was just surprised by your assertion that no one would be prescribed these medications together.

I don't know about "Roxies" bc I have never been prescribed that medication. That being said, please excuse my admitted lack of information on this medication. I have seen many posts with, both "Roxies" & Oxycodone, so I'm not sure how different they are (maybe someone could explain that). I'm posting bc I, fairly recently, had an injury that has lead to ongoing medical care.

I did not go directly to a pain clinic. I first saw my PCP, who prescribed hydrocodone & Flexeril. He explained that one was for pain & the other was a muscle relaxer bc the muscles around the injury site were all "in spasm, with multiple trigger points." Long story, short... Once an MRI was done, I was referred to a spine specialist (i have stayed w this same Dr since then, so no Dr shopping).

Together with my dr, we have been going thru "conservative" tx (i.e. oral steroids, multiple esi's, multiple facet injections, along with massage & physical therapy). About a month ago, pain suddenly became much worse. Proper protocol was followed by having a new MRI, which indeed showed worsened state.

I am now scheduled for a surgical consult. In the meantime, my medication was changed to 7.5/325 Percocet. Flexeril is 5mg. Instructions on Flexeril are "1 to 2 at bedtime, as needed." I rarely take 2.

I have never filled a script early & in fact, often fill a little late, as I stretch my medications as much as possible. I recently dropped of script for the Percocet (again, not early). The pharmacist refused to fill it because I was not refilling Flexeril at the same time. I tried to explain that I was not out of that yet and he said they had to follow the Dr's "regimen".

I was totally confused bc I was following my Dr's regimen, just not the MAX allowed. I tried to explain this & asked if he would look up the exact prescribing info in my file to see that, if I was following the "regimen" of 1 pill at bedtime, I should not be out.

I was really shocked that he refused because (by his reasoning) I was not taking the MAX amount of medication available to me. Reading other's complaints only further confuses me about my experience, as many have been refused for taking too much medication, but I was refused for not taking more.

samantha.gray32
Geismar, Louisiana, United States #624202

I AM REACHING OUT 2 ALL THAT HAVE BEEN VIOLATED AND ALSO WAS TERMERNATED FROM WALGREENS BECAUSE THEY MADE A STATMENT ABOUT HOW A PERSON LOOK R ANY BECAUSE THE TECH WAS IN A GROUP TALKING ABOUT ME AND I AM NOT GONNA LET THIS GO IT HAS AFFECTED ME SO PLEASE RESPOND THANKS IN ADVANCE