I was looking for a full-time job, and I recently got hired for a Walgreens in Florida. Right before I joined, they offered me at least 30 hours of work, plus benefits (that included health, vision, AND dental). A few weeks after I joined, they hired someone new; according to Walgreens, he was a former employee that was brought back. I don't mind working with new people, but as soon as they hired him, I was brought down to 5-10 hours a week. I (angrily) asked the manager why, and she said that they had to cut hours recently (and she actually wondered why). I also noticed I wasn't getting my insurance either, so I asked them about that too. It turns out you have to PAY for the Walgreens insurance, and with cut hours, there was no way that this was happening.

After a while, I couldn't even pay my own bills, so I had to move back in with my parents in North Carolina. I decided to transfer from one Walgreens to another, figuring that it was just that one store that had the problems. But it happened again; right after the NC Walgreens hired me, THEY hired someone else, someone who had worked with the company before. And wouldn't you know it, as soon as they do, MY hours are getting cut. And because of that, again, I can't get my insurance. Oh, but it gets better: after they hired me, they said my T-shirt wasn't "up to date", and they forced me to wear a new, long-sleeve shirt.....in July. I asked if they could give me a short-sleeved shirt, but they said I had to pay for it.

So let's recap: my hours are cut, I have to pay for my own insurance that they promised to give, and now they're forcing me to pay out of pocket just so I can wear a comfortable shirt at work.

In short, the company offers NOTHING it promises to their employees. You get hours, they get cut. You want insurance, you have to pay for it. You try to make a simple request, they shoot you down saying that YOU have to pay and fix the problem.

Bottom line, you can work for Walgreens.....just don't expect it to pay any bills.

Comments

"Right before I joined, they offered me at least 30 hours of work, plus benefits (that included health, vision, AND dental). It turns out you have to PAY for the Walgreens insurance?"

Well, yes.

You are provided those benefits for working full-time. If you choose to use those benefits, you have to pay for it. What rare, heavenly job did you have before where the business payed for your own health insurance, vision, dental, 401k? I would love that job, but sadly they are extremely rare to find.

I'm sorry, you're dealing with your hours being cut. It certainly sucks, and really just means it's time to find a new job that doesn't cut you. The advantage to using your job's health insurance is that they are generally cheaper than getting health insurance outside your job. Either way, you have to pay for it.

There's no way around that.

I sympathize. I worked there too.