Riviera Beach, Florida

I have Muscular Dystrophy, 3 years ago my neurologist put me on a pain management regime to keep me out of a wheelchair. I take very low doses of these meds and they are actually recommend by the MDA. I do not take oxycodone or any of the other widely abused meds.

I recently moved an island area right across the bridge from a predominately black/minority area. We share the same zip code. Last month I was told by a Walgreens Pharmacist that she couldn't fill my prescription because I. Live in a low class area. When I called to complain to her manager I was told the same thing. I was able to fill my prescriptions at a Walgreens 30 minutes away with no questions asked. The pharmacist at that Walgreens could not understand why they refused to fill my prescription, as my Neuro is well respected and my dose/quantities are so low. She advised me that Medicare considers my RX to be a 7 day supply.

When I repeatedly called and complained I was told the same thing over and over, " "we can't fill your prescription because you live in a low class neighborhood". I am paying $1400 a month to live on the ocean, far from low class but even if I did live across the bridge in the "poorer" neighborhood; does that give my local Walgreeens the right to deny me my meds? And why am I able to fill it at other Walgreen stores in my area? I just love how some people assume Walgreens is in the right for refusing to fill pain medications. The problem is Walgreens practices serious discrimination when refusing to fill these meds.

I recently moved to another area, I live in an island area right across the bridge from a predominately black/minority area. We share the same zip code. Last month I was told by a Walgreens Pharmacist that she couldn't fill my prescription because I. Live in a low class area. When I called to complain to her manager u was told the same thing. I was able to fill my prescriptions at a Walgreens 30 minutes away with no questions asked. The pharmacist at the Walgreends could not understand why the refused to fill my prescription, as my Neuro is well respected and my dose/quantities are so low. She advised me that Medicare considers my RX to be a 7 day supply.

I will continue to complain until Walgreens stops these discriminatory practices.

Review about: Walgreens Pharmacist.

Had an Experience with Walgreens?

Comments

Cookeville, Tennessee, United States #671142

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ACTUALLY SAID THAT IN THOSE WORDS!The wisest thing for u 2do is install a call monitoring app on ur phone (must test first to make sure both parties voices are clearly heard and recordable) and try to fill it at that walgreens again.

They CANNOT discriminate because the neighbourhood u may or may not live in. They might as well say they dont fill prescriptions to those who drive Ford's!.. I WISH it :eek could've been me!

Then I'DE be the one with an ocean view!Too bad I live in Tennessee!

to J J Palm Beach Shores, Florida, United States #674520

Thanks for the advice!I did not want to get in trouble for illegal wiretapping lol so I told the pharmacist I needed to record our conversation because I keep getting different answers, this of course AFTER he said he could not fill my prescription.

He blamed it on the area the store is in. Apologized when i told him what the other employees said to me, but repeatedly said , "it's the AREA"...Then he explained that the DEA shut down 5 distribution sites and Walgreens had to be more "diligent"..um ok but here is the thing those sites distributed over 300,000 oxycodone pills to 2 stores within a five month period. This happened at stores over an hour away from me. I do not take Oxycodone.This is the only store that seems to be "cracking down" .

Hmm..must be the AREA. I left there and went to another Walgreens 5 minutes away, ..um, on the other side of the tracks and filled it with no questions asked. Didn't intend to ever go to this store again buy at least I have more proof that they are using discriminatory practices. It is the AREA and whether I live in it or shop in it , Walgreens has no right to target a particular store that had nothing to do with the DEA crackdown , if that were the case then no store would fill it and I'm able to get it at every store within 30 miles , except this particular store.

Its discrimination and I will pursue this.

Policies of filling necessary medications should not come with instructions to exclude...

Boston, Massachusetts, United States #659294

Do you honestly not realize how false sounding your stories are?There is not a single Walgreen's that I have been to that any employee, much less the manager, would point to a person and say that "your kind" is stealing or ruining the store.

Nor would they even point out a security risk to another customer. It is also false sounding that any employee would request you to leave your cane at the front because it didn't look like you needed it.

Open containers of food or drink...quite possibly because spills happen and not all customers report them.In other words, I have little to no doubt that you are attention seeking and full of ***.

to Anonymous Palm Beach Shores, Florida, United States #660040

This was my 1st post on pissedconsumer, and obviously not a good way to share a complaint. This has shown me the possible reason why corporate will not take my complaints seriously.

Did I mention that I've been a happy Walgreens customer for over 20 years. It angers me that I cannot shop in my local 24 hour store because of these incidents. The only attention I am seeking is for someone at Walgreeens to realize how bad this particular store is managed.

I shop in several other local stores without any issues. The Walgreend store 10 minutes away fills my prescriptions with no questions asked. I've told them about the problems at this store and they say " well you know the area". I don't get it. Not at all. I've also told this story to employees at my local Publix, Winn Dixie, and Family Dollar; they have heard similar stores from other customers. Several white people have told me they have had similar experiences.

In the last month I have unfortunately had to visit this store three times. The 1st time I had a gallon of milk on the child part of my cart, they lock the entrance door at night and leave the exit door open. Some lady came in as I was going out and knocked my milk over, it spilled everywhere. The worker was very rude about it. The 2nd time the sale items did not ring up and I was asked to go back to the shelf and remove the sale price stickers. It only took me and my cane 20 minutes to do this "price check" and the 3rd time I was...

I'm tired of talking about Walgreens . I know its unbelievable but this story is true. If someone at Walgreens happens to read this, just send some average looking middle age or younger undercover white people in there and you"ll see what I am talking about.

to Just Me New Orleans, Louisiana, United States #660302

Ignore that posting. It's either from LadyScot or anonymous of Sioux Falls.

They constantly call people "full of BS".

I'm pretty sure they are employed to do so, but don't have the integrity to admit it.

Even if they didn't fill your rx because of your zip code they would never say it out loud. And they also wouldn't say white people don't belong here. You are so full of it!

to Fake as can be Palm Beach Shores, Florida, United States #649923

No, they did not say they were not filling it because of my zip code.

When I was told by the 1st pharmacist that she could fill it she said "because of the are you live in." When I asked her what she meant she said, "well you live in a class area."

When I complained to her manager the next day she gave me the same replies.

Look, I spoke to district and he was glad to hear that I was able too fill my RX at another Walgreens and apologized for the un-professionalism of his employees.

Not once has any manager been shocked about my complaints. I have however hear "well you know how it is around here."

Shocking and hard to believe, I know. That is why I'm complaining. There is no excuse for this type of blatant discrimination.

I live in a "BLACK AREA PERIOD".And i am not 5 minute's from a Walgreen's.My Walgreens' would never refuse an "XR"That is perscribed by an "Legal Doctor".Something is not "True About This Post.What does the part of town you live in have to do with your "XR'.Sound's as though you have left out an important part of this "Story".

to Anonymous #649731

I promise nothing was left out of this story. And honestly the store is used by people of all races, so I don't understand it myself.

I have had other issues in this store un-related to the pharmacy. One particular employee always excuses me of stealing. I asked him why and he stated " because your white and you're in this neighborhood" When I politely complained to the manager he stated "we watch everybody in this store"and then pointed to a *** looking girl who was walking around drinking a soda she couldn't pay for saying "this is what your kind does around here". I was also once asked to leave my cane at the door because I didn't look like I needed it to walk. Huh?

I quit spending money at Walgreens a long time ago, other than my prescriptions. Now I have to travel to stores outside of my area because of where I live. It's is discrimination and it is not right. My demeanor and my appearance are normal, I do not have issues in any other stores in my area.

I spoke to the district manager and while he apologized for his employees being unprofessional, he also stated they have had issues at that store. What those issues have to do with me, I have no idea. The Walgeeen corporate call center has several documented incidents where I have complained. The last time the store manager returned one of those calls he stated he was calling to get to the bottom of this non-sense. Wow.

Since I was able to fill my RX at another Walgreens within the...

to Anonymous #649737

too add to your "legal doctor" comment, let me just say my neurologist was recommended by the Muscular Dystrophy Association. He is one of a handful of doctors in this COUNTRY who specialize in treating my particular type of Muscular Dystrophy.