Tupelo, Mississippi
1.9K views

I have practiced medicine in a Mississippi town for 16 years. For the first time ever, a Walgreens pharmacist refused to fill a schedule 2 controlled substance for a patient.

This individual had a written prescription in hand, signed by me and the prescription was entered into his electronic medical record. The pharmacist refused to fill it and offered no legitimate reason. The patient left in pain and shame and went elsewhere to receive courteous service. I requested to speak to the store manager and the district supervisor.

No one has called me. If a pharmacy can speak directly with a physician and verify the authenticity of a script and then refuse to fill it for no logical reason, that pharmacy does not care about patients in pain, and the humiliation of being turned away when they need help.

Patients in Tupelo,MS should select any other pharmacy in town. Walgreens will not be cooperative with your healthcare provider.

Product or Service Mentioned: Walgreens Pharmacist.

Comments

The Solution is simple, do as I do. Boycott Walgreen's 100%...Even a pack of Gum.

I will never spend another Penney at Walgreen's Drug Stores.

I will not even rent a Redbox movie outside of their store. But I try to always tell them they are Number 1 as I drive by. %&*9((*(

They will never has a chance to humiliate me again by refusing my business. I also sold 100 shares in my portfolio......I am hoping they file Chapter 11 soon.

Unless Fools keep purchasing from them. After they told you they did not want your business.....Get a clue!

@MotoMan

yup, BOYCOT, I wont even shop in the same strip mall or shopping center that has a Walgreen in it, anyone willing to rent to that company doesn't need my money, I will drive further to avoid a strip mall or shopping center with a Walgreens in it..

wallgreens gets busted selling pharms illegally out the back door and they want to make me suffer???...

yea right, my money is accepted at more reputable renters of retail space a lot more conveniently..

I was called by their automated service stating that my anti-convulsant medication, Gabitril, was ready to be picked up. When I got there, the technician told me that they didn't have it.

When I stated that this would be very detrimental to my health - she smiled and said "That's fine". Evidently Walgreens is in the business of hand crafting criminals with the intent of ending their stupidity one technician at a time.

I'm in Grand Rapids, Mi. Had all scripts filled at walgreens for entire life.

Been on Sch 2 for a couple years. Last week I went to pick up my order at the walgreen pharmacy and was told I was not a "Good Faith" patient and they would not fill for me nor would any other walgreen. I got pissed. He explained that a few months back I had my RX filled at a different pharmacy.

I reminded him that he sent me to that other pharm. due to the fact they did not have enough of my sch 2 med.

He didn't care and just kept telling me I was no longer a "good faith" patient.

I tried to fill my usual prescriptions at Walgrees about two months ago, the pharmacists said that Walgreens has a new policy & that there was a criteria that had to be met. They held my prescription for most of the day then called at the end of the day and said that I would be unable to fill my meds there or any other Walgreens in the state of Florida.

I asked why but they refused to tell me. I have been prescribed Methadone from the same doctor for the past eight years. I am now forced to fill my medication at a much more expensive pharmacy.

It appears to me that the DEA has made it either impossible or more expensive for chronic pain care suffering people to fill their meds. Nice job !

LadyScot

Pharmacists are allowed, per FEDERAL LAW to refuse any script for any reason.

Walgreens refused to fill my scripts after filling them for almost a year. Same medication & same scripts except we had REDUCED the amount of medication on 2 of the 3 scripts because since I had knee surgery I don't need as much medication.

But that didn't matter and the "floater" pharmacist who refused to fill my scripts refused to tell me when another pharmacist would be working or when she would NOT be working. When I complained about her rudeness to the store manager I was told that when my scripts were refused by her I was banned from getting them filled at ANY Walgreens because of their new policy that starte Dec 1, 2012. The manager said it was between my dr. & the pharmacist even tho my dr.

was never called and the manager refused to tell me what their new policy was so I could comply with it. I got my scripts filled the next day at a major store chain that has a pharmacy with no problem

My son has been in pain management for at least 10 years. Had 3 surgeries on his back.

Been using Walgreens in Jensen Beach FL for 10 years, same Doctor. My son is a responsible person and has never abused his prescription for Methadone. How can he continue to work and support his family? I realize one bad apple spoils the whole bunch, but not everyone should be punished for those few abusers.

This is unacceptable for someone who is in constant pain to bear. I am very worried for my son and his family.

How are these people who need pain medication to survive? I am shocked and something needs to be done as soon as possible, not only for my Son, but for everyone who genuinely needs medication to control their chronic pain.

Very sad to see that Dr. Orders are being denied.

Looks like we need a new law to enforce getting Dr. Orders filled. If the Dr can not make a judgement on illness but the pharmacist can is just crazy!! Lots of patients travel to get good medical care that can not be provided on a local level this is just terrible to see.

Furthermore if they are a drug seller or an addict who cares. We need to take care of our sick and not allow them to suffer because of a few law breakers. Give the people the medications they need. If it was your mother/father/child in pain you would want them not to suffer I can guarantee that.

Maybe more training should be given a year on the Cancer floor required for every graduating Dr. or Pharmacist!!

@CANCER

Stay up to date with current events and you will know the reason for the recent crack down.

Fyi, not everyone who has an MD behind their name is credible. Just ask the DEA and those doctors lost their license and had to do jail time..... all because he/she wrote "legit" prescriptions for pain.

If you are under the proper pain care and medical care complies with all rules/regulation/process. why worry? The recent crackdown is not applicable to you.

@Anonymous

example: patient walks in with a prescription for oxycodone 30 tid x 90 from a walk in clinic 2 hours away form your location. Pharmacist calls doctor, doctor refuses to give any information as to why he/she feels prescription is necessary for treatment.

Pharmacist then has the right to make a professional judgement on weather or not the fill prescription. Unfortunately patients feel pharmacists must fill prescriptions written by doctors in any situation which is not the case. MD's and PharmD's (yes, most pharmacists now are Doctors too), must work together ethically to keep patients safety in check.

However, as above anonymous stated, some MD's are more wrapped up in the $, versus patient safety causing the pharmacists to be portrayed as the bad guys.

@anonymous too

"yes, most pharmacists now are Doctors too" LOL, yeah so is my church pastor a Doctor. Doctor of Theology.

They aren't MDs or DOs. The PharmDs just need to shut it and fill the script that a real Doctor writes and we will keep picking them up from Dr.

Drive Thru at the window. :grin

I too have been denied, after 5 years of filling the same prescriptions for, at Walgreen's here in Nevada. It really means just ONE thing. If YOU have STOCK in Walgreen Drugs, SELL NOW!

The will be loosing all of my prescription business, worth around $1000, per month, paid for by my insurance and I. I know I am not alone and this will add up to MILLIONS of DOLLARS PER DAY, of revenues lost by their decision. Meanwhile, Well Care pharmacies are happy to pick up my prescription and fill it, delivering it later in the day, for FREE.

seems like the best way to ensure that someone doesn't show up at the pharmacy with a GUN, rather than a prescription, too! Which is a fear of many pharmacists here, since there is now a shortage of medication at all other pharmacies, since Walgreen Drug is hording the supply!

Investors, move that money to Well Care Pharmacies,along with all your prescriptions, like I DID!

@Guru in Las Vegas

Just dropped of my 3 scripts the same I have been taken for 6 years. Same doctor same reason.

Just got home and received a call from Walgreen's. "Come pick up your scripts we will NO LONGER fill them". The reason is per the pharmacist the DEA and Walgreens doesnt want my business anymore. Over the past 6 years I have had 4 surgeries and supplied them with ANY info they wanted.

I will pull all my medications total 8 plus my families. Meanwhile looking for a new place. How dare they question OR assume anything about me. I know these people.

I see them several times a month. I have never been so humiliated in my life.

Some of this frustration is warranted but there is plenty of corruption that consumers may or may not be aware of. A pharmacist takes an oath to protect.

If a MD prescribes a pain med that appears to be excessive, the pharmacist has the right to deny for safety reasons. How many times have we seen people od on control medications. The consequence no longer falls squarely on the physician . The pharmacist is the drug expert and they will be summoned.

Some patients aren't even aware that some md's are prescribing controls with no DEA#, or that your md may be under investigation for illegal scripts. Just because they write it , that does not make it legal or relieve the pharmacist/ pharmacy from being held liable as well. A simple "I said so" is not acceptable by law. If your pharmacist call, the dr must give certain info that must be written on script, which gives the pharmacy the best chance of not being summoned (records still will be) if something goes wrong.

And if it is clearly in danger to the patient, even info written on a script about contacting a dr may not be acceptable because the drug specialist (pharmacist) should have known better. I know it is rough for people with severe pain. I am one and I have also been put in awkward situations trying to fill controls.

I am also a pharmacist and understand I must protect my license and people's lives. There aren't many feelings as bad as knowing someone was harmed and filled that script knowing that dr was under investigation or that dose/ quantity was too much.

Juli if you don't know why are you even part of this conversation. Walgreens sucks.

They are the only pharmacy I've ever dealt with that gives me grief about filling my prescriptions. It all depends on the pharmacist. Sometime they fill it and sometimes they don't. I called the corporate office and they made the pharmacist who refused to fill my ligit script apologize because the pharmacist was WRONG!

Walgreens is being sued liked crazy and I hope they lose every case! Who the heck are they to decide they know better than your doctor what you need.

@unhappy

Unhappy, you are an ***.

LadyScot
@unhappy

Unhappy, I call that statement bull. Pharmacist are governed by federal and state law, NOT by a store manager.

In the pharmacy area, the pharmacist IS the store manager, and NO pharmacist is required to apologize for following the law.

Just because another pharmacist will kiss *** and be careless, does not mean another will.

If it was YOUR license (and pharmacists spend just as much money and go to school just as long as doctors do) and YOUR prison sentence, I am betting you would be just as diligent. Unless you are a crook.

@LadyScot

Why so many people are telling the licensed pharmacist (PharmD) what to do? He or She have the right to make their own judgment, and make use of their license the way they pleased in compliance with the narcotics law.

The pharmacist do not tell the physician or the nurse what to do. After all it is their own license what they are protecting. Do not like the judgment of one pharmacist? then go to another pharmacy, period.

If you are using opiates for over 10 years, every single month (ie Oxycodone 30mg- the market hot commodity strength- the 30mg one!) you are addicted to it, and of course you are a classic opiate abuser. Your physician is just feeding your addiction, and as the prescription is considered "technically legitimate," the purpose and the provision of it (for 10 years or longer) is not, making that physician-patient relationship, an addict-pusher relationship (that is illegal- since it is killing you- and that is illegal). The prescription in this example, is legitimate, but the "patient-doctor" relationship is not. Prescribing opiates for the addicts is illegal, and this type of relationship makes the prescription itself illegal too, since it originated from a illegal treatment.

Once you are taking Oxycodone 30mg for over 10 years, that single reason is telling the DEA that you are addicted to it. By the way, after 60 or 30 days of Oxycodone use, you become addicted. Continuation of the provision of this drug, by any physician, is an act of malpractice of medicine, and an illegal act (however since you went to see the doctor, and that visit culminated with a prescription (once again an opiate), makes the prescription "legitimate"- since was not falsified, but the treatment is, rendering the patient-physician relationship illegal. Your doctor is totally responsible to treat you now as an addict, (since he probably contributed to it) providing detox programs that can prove that he or she are really contributing to protecting/avoiding a possible loss of your life, and not continuation of the provision of the opiate-since providing opiates to the addict is a crime under the DEA.

This is not the pharmacist's fault, but your doctor's fault, that you are suffering this ordeal.