New Port Richey, Florida
3.8K views

Update by user May 15, 2013

I have lived in the area for over 30 years. The other pharmacies wanted me to have my M.D. prescribe me 10 (TEN) additional non-narcotic medications in order for them to fill my Rx. I believe this is a form of extortion and a conflict of interest for a pharmacy to make such demands.

Chronic pain is a serious, debilitating condition that requires strict, supervised care from a medical doctor. I have tried numerous alternative therapies to manage my pain without much success. My M.D. has my x-ray films, my blood work results, my biopsy results, my nerve conduction results, and my entire medical history.

For a pharmacist to deny his written orders for my medication because I fail to meet certain undisclosed criteria is beyond unprofessional and unethical conduct--its criminal!

Original review posted by user May 14, 2013

All of the Walgreens Pharmacies in Pasco County Florida have refused to honor my valid prescription for pain medication written by my Board Certified Medical Doctor. Other pharmacies such as CVS, Publix, and Sweetbay have also refused to fill my script. Walgreens used to consistently fill my medication; recently however, a Walgreens pharmacist told me that I do not meet certain criteria to have my pain medication filled. The pharmacist would not reveal the criteria, stating that it was against Walgreens’ corporate policy to speak about that with customers. Even though the pharmacy had the medication in-stock, I was denied because I did not meet their "secret criteria." I am in excruciating pain, and suffering withdrawal symptoms because I am forced to suddenly stop taking my medication--one of the warnings that are stated in the literature that accompanied my prior scripts.

The only solution I can think of is initiating a class action lawsuit against Walgreens, et al. I have contacted Morgan & Morgan (http://www.forthepeople.com/contact_us.htm) and urge anybody who is having a similar problem to do the same. They may be reached at: 877-667-4265.

Product or Service Mentioned: Walgreens Pharmacist.

• Walgreens ethical violation
  • refused to fill script
  • Pharmacy abuse

Comments

@PharmerBen

Pharmerben these people are not talking about filling early, or they're scrips have been stollen (which theft is rampant & if the victim has gone through the specific channels & provides the correct reports should not have a problem getting a refill!! You "pharmacists" do take it personal, you are not physicians you are pharmacists, I agree pharmacies are heavily regulated but if you are presented with a legally written prescription from a legitimate doctor that you have confirmed the prescription with, you are covered against prosecution..

Now you are spreading your lies on here, your full of *** dude.. When you people refuse to fill a legitimate prescription you are then acting as a doctor which is "ilegal" in any state.. Who are you to second guess a doctor?? Your education level is no where near that of a doctor yet you have the nerve to reject a patients medication, and all of you know your wrong this is why you lie and make up policies to patients that you have profiled, you know vary well your wrong, you people get a little power & you guise it as your doing America a great service in battling the drug war, when all you have done is denied people their right to be pain free this is all you have done.

If a person wants to take pain medication it's none of your business you just do your job and fill the prescription end of subject, your not a doctor, like I said before you do not even come close to being a doctor you shouldn't be aloud to where the white coat!!

I know of certain people that visit pharmacies with legal prescriptions that are equipped with hidden video cameras gathering evidence of this crime.. I will gladly join any class action against you jerks,

@PharmerBen

This may be true in SOME cases but THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO *** THOSE PEOPLE OUT INSTEAD OF HURTING US ALL. :(

@PharmerBen

You sir, are one of the ignorant pharmacists that think they're doctors of medicine! I wish you a life of extreme pain and suffering WITHOUT ANY PAIN MEDICATION.

You are a complete ignoramus.

@PharmerBen

If you Pharmacists had any cojones you would advocate for chronic pain patients. If you think any one with intractable pain should be Euthanized, say it.

It is illegal to leave a dog in as much pain as it is encouraged for you to do.

I wish you come down with a pain condition but I think you would just help yourself to the drugs. We should all get together and , uh , discuss, ( with fists) this.

jaswars

Hi fellow Chronic Pain Sufferers. I just received a call from Morgan & Morgan and sfemme24 is correct.

They are NOT going go after Walgreens. This is a diservice and tragedy for all of us being discriminated against. I am not giving up. I also wrote a letter to my local senator about this ever growing epidemic.

If anyone gets any breakthrough from a lawfirm willing to take this let this site know. We are victims of this and we need protections to make sure we get our monthly medications without worry, fear, or harrassment from ANY pharmacy/doctor/clinic etc....

@jaswars

Your words 2 days ago "He said that a class action lawsuit is being prepared." What changed???

Walgreens is not the only store, Target, Walmart, CVS all have had my meds in and refused to fillme because of my doctor, also my own medicare provider BCBS of Florida's mail in pharmacy will not fill my script either.

I called Morgan and Morgan and they didn't want my case over a year ago.

My doctor has been blacklisted because he doesn't take insurance, the Dea doesn't care, the police don't care, and as of my last phone call to Morgan and Morgan, they didn't care either

@na 1

iT IS SICKENING! WHAT R THE PEOPLE WHO DO NOT HAVE AND CANNOT AFFORD TO GET INSURANCE SUPPSOED TO DO????

I ALSO GO TO SOMEONE WHO DOESNT TAKE INS but i cANT AFFORD TO GO TO SOMEONE ELSE!!!! i have been screwed over by the government and lost a $19 an hour job beacuse of this BS havent had insurance in 7 years the government job i had did NOT GIVE HEALTH INSURANCE to substitute rural carriers.!

so i had NO CHOICE but to go to the only dr i could somewhat afford! the ones who take insurance cost double!

jaswars

I am outraged and sick and tired of trying to get my medications filled without being totally discriminated against and basically tagged a "drug addict." I was involved in a serious car accident that nearly claimed my life over 20 years ago. I was in rehab for 5 months and then another year of outpatient therapy to piece together my shattered neck and body.

I had to learn how to walk/talk/eat/get dressed again. From that day on my physical/mental life was never the same. I never took precription drugs to combat the chronic debilitating pain that I have endured religously since that dreadful night. That was until four years ago when the pain was so intense that it rendered me immobile and basically in a fetal position.

I went to a pain specialist and went through a series of different medications to combat the pain. Finally we found a medication that WORKED which was Roxycodone. I never felt such relief in 20 years of chronic pain. It was like God answered my prayers.

I went into Walgreens a few days ago to get my Prescriptions filled. They had the medication and they have a 72 hour " well let me decide if I want to fill it or not policy." I spoke with the pharmacist and also brought my MRI results in to PROVE my medical conditions. He didnt even care to read my MRI results. He didnt even call my Doctor to verify.

I never felt so belittled and discriminated against in my life. He asked me why my previous pharmacy could not fill it and I told him they were completely backlogged 5 weeks out for the Roxycodones and could not take my prescription. I left the pharmacy and returned home only to be in bed immobile, fetal position, waiting for an answer...an answer that provoked me to take action. I received a call from the pharmacist and he told me that I did not qualify for there good faith refilling policy?

He said he could not tell me the reasons as to why it was denied as company policy dictates this as well as having every Walgreens alerted about me and my name is now on this "do not fill". I WAS OUTRAGED. What the *** is going on this is crazy I said to myself. I have reliously gone to my Doctor every month to receive my Prescriptions.

I am not a drug addict nor have I gone outside of my doctors orders to receive this medication. I follow the rules and had never deviated from it. The only thing that I had done was go to different pharmacies to get my meds filled, only if my primary pharmacy was out of stock. Something needs to be done as these pharmacists and there Corp dictate who gets medication and who doesnt.

I know that my medication is a hugely popular drug amongst the druggies out there, but this medication is what gets me barely through a day. I am totally disgusted with someone else dictating what is good for me and what is not. It's my life mission to rally for legitimate chronic pain sufferers, like myself, whom have tried other forms of therapy( I tried everything to relieve my pain without meds with ZERO success). I am tired of having no voice when it comes to being a victim in this situation.

I am BOYCOTTING Walgreens and everything associated with it. I am disgusted with the non-compassion in terms of these Pharmacists who are playing god now and making me and 1000's of other legitimate chronic pain sufferers who have to struggle with these companies to get the proper medical attention that we need to get through 1 day of life.

I just contacted Morgan & Morgan. Thank you for speaking up and doing something about this complete violation of our rights and dignity.

@jaswars

You did not meet the "good faith dispensing" policy. It is either keep our job as pharmacists and feed our family, or give you your candy when you want it.

You are only a victim in your own mind. God forgive you.

@PharmerBen

What goes around comes around, Ben. I'd suggest you seek professional psychiatric help.

@bon

AMEN to that one!

@PharmerBen

Just saw a program on "Dateline" about Florida's problem with Doctors who prescribe drugs to carloads of people from up North who,in turn run, the drugs to the dealers back home. The only way to stop these Doctors from lining their pockets with fast money is to put them on a "black list" at the pharmacies.

Good for you PharmerBen! The law is on your side!

@PharmerBen

I can't believe how smug you are, you know *** well " profiling" is not in your job description.. They suggest employees keep an eye out for drug searchers, you keep avoiding the comments, they can't nor will they know you have done anything wrong if you take the proper steps in verifying and filling the patients prescription..

It's extra work that you don't have or want to do it's easier on you to LIE to the patient/customer to lighten your work load!!! Your a joke

@PharmerBen

Your Good Faith Dispensing is Discrimination & we should all BOYCOTT WALGREENS and any other Pharmacy doing this to us as a patient.

@jaswars

I've been. Through this s,ame type of issue...mostly with pharmacys and some nurses!!!!!!my dr.is the one to decide what's best nobody else,,and I'm sure.

That ALOT of peharmacists. Are the real addicts

sfemme24

and i am not even ON schedule 2 drugs! that is what REALLY upsets me.

and have been on the same LOW dose for almost 2 years! my pharmacist used to always talk to me and told me he believes i am a legitimate patient. Unfortunately when i took my prescriptions there last week he wasnt there, but this B said shed have him call me which never happened.

RIDICULOUS!my *** ex and his junkie friends all have been getting their drugs off the street NO PROBLEM FOR YEARS! and i am a legitimate pain patient and going through *** this is absolutely ridiculous.

sfemme24

They wont sue them, i tried a year ago due to losing a $19 an hour job because of this BS..now they even got WORSE and say your dr has to be within a certain amount of MILES from the pharmacy, it doesnt matter if they r in the same county now! ridiculous. i already contacted morgan and moran and a few others nobody will do it.

@sfemme24

I just contacted them as well. They took all my information and the intake specialist said a lawyer would contact me in a week or two.

He said that a class action lawsuit is being prepared. We have to fight and get our voices heard. Don't give up, get it out on facebook to Boycott Walgreens, tell everyone, tweet it, get the message our there until it goes viral. I feel your pain.

I have had chronic pain for over 25 years from a near fatal car accident. I never took medications until four years ago to have a "basic" quality of life" again. When does a Walgreens Pharmacist dictate to me that under there policy i have been put on there "Do not fill list." I asked why and he said he could not tell me, but he has the power to put me on a list? NO NO NO I am sorry, but that is a viloation of our civil rights and it caused undue duress, anxiety, and stress because now Walgreens termed me a criminal in there eyes.

I never shopped a Doctor in my life. I follow my precription religously. I read there policy and guidelines to determine if I qualify and I got rejected because i went to fill my prescription at different pharmacies and the only reason why is because my primary pharmacist got limited by the DEA with how much he can get on a monthly basis.

It has nothing to do with money, it has to do with our dignity and our voice will help 1000's and 1000's of legitmate chronic pain sufferers who are now being treated like criminals.

@jaswars

I just called them again and gave them all the new info and they said that a lawyer would be in touch with me