My husband is terminally ill and has knee problems and two slipped discs in his back.We have been filling his pain medication at Walgreens for the last four years.

About six months ago, our pharmacist, who has always been very kind to us and treated us as customers should be treated, told us she couldn't fill my husbands' pain medication any longer. No warning, no explanation, just - "We can't fill them". Now, my entire family has been using Walgreens since they opened in Tampa. She wouldn't tell me where I could fill them or try to help me in any way.

Now, I understand the "pill mill" capital is right here in Tampa, but my husband is 62 years old, on disability and has many medical problems. Are these people not trained to tell the difference between drug seekers and people who have severe problems and pain? I can't find his medication anywhere and in the meantime, he is pretty much confined to bed. At least with the medication he could get up and move around and have some what of a normal life.

I'm afraid that he is going to become depressed and never be able to have any kind of normal life. Is there anyone out there that has any suggestions as to what I should do or where I could go to get help?

Anything would be appreciated.Thank you.

Had an Experience with Walgreens?

Comments

Meijer Customer Service Saves The Day After Surgery

January 14, 2013 By Laura Northrup from the consumerist

(Meg Marco)

Amanda was exhausted, after dealing with her mother’s post-surgery care and bringing her home from the hospital. Neither of them anticipated that the biggest problem would that day be with getting her post-discharge prescriptions filled. One of the medications was more obscure than she had imagined. They visited three different pharmacies in their rural area and were ready to give up hope when they finally visited the pharmacy at the local Meijer. They had the drugs! For $250! Oh, no.

I just wanted to let you know about an act of remarkable customer service.

I brought my mother home from the hospital today — she’d had surgery on Tuesday, and I’ve been exhausted trying to manage her care. When I finally got her today, they gave me a packet of what I was to learn were esoteric prescriptions (that included her painkillers), and didn’t let her out until 4:30 p.m.

As we live in a rural area, we drove home (1.5 hours), and I left for the nearest pharmacy that was open after 6, which is approximately a half hour drive away. Got to the pharmacy at 6:30; the pharmacist took one look at the top prescription, basically said, “NOPE!” and referred me to CVS. Repeat procedure at CVS, to Walgreens. Repeat again. It is now 7:15, and I threw my hands up and went to Meijer, a regional department store, in [redacted], MI....

They HAD THEM. I was thrilled — but my standards were pretty low by that point. Dropped them off, was told that they were slammed tonight and that the prescription would be ready in 40 minutes.

Got back at 8 p.m., they told me the total ($250) and asked if I had Mom’s prescription card. I did, or so I thought. They took one look at it and said no, that it wasn’t. Her employer had apparently just switched things around, and instead of the number being on her card like it used to be, she had a new one that she didn’t realize was a prescription card.

That could have been the end of it. They could have told me to stick it, to go home and get the card — even though that would have gotten me back to town after 9. I was wide-eyed thinking I was going to have to travel even farther away to a larger city to find a different pharmacy to fill her prescription. But they were absolutely amazing. They said they’d take the numbers over the phone — and even though my phone was dead from using GPS all day to get to and from the hospital, they let me use their phone over the counter for what was not a local call.

Unfortunately, despite Mom having a major insurance provider, her employer apparently has some sort of equally esoteric prescription drug plan, and the number had a bunch of 0s and Os and 1s and Is that looked similar and that we apparently mixed up over the phone. The pharmacist spent more than half an hour of plugging different combos into the computer before she finally called Mom back, asked for the customer service number, and worked with the customer service rep for another ten minutes to make sure it was all taken care of.

Past closing, they had it sorted out. Cost to me? $35. I am one very, very relieved and elated customer, and my mom got her pain meds. They really went above and beyond helping to make sure she didn’t have to go without until tomorrow when I would have more time and freedom to track down her medications.

I realize a lot of this was our fault as annoying customers that didn’t have our stuff sorted out, but Meijer came through for me in a major way even when I had mucked things up through my misunderstanding and stress.

Portland, Maine, United States #580194

Would definitely let his doctor know about this.We too, have this problem in Maine, we were forced to use Walgreens when our regular pharmacy's system was down, it was like we were criminals.

Hate Wagreens pharmacy. Does your husband have any kind of homecare? The nurse will help you with this. Also ask for the supervisor at the Walgreens and file a complaint.

It is ridiculous for pain patients to be denied their meds, it has happened to us, it's horrible to see your loved one writhing in pain because of their idiocy. I would DEMAND an explanation as to why they will not fill. Your hub has rights and they are denying them.

Stay strong and stick up for yourself!And definitely get your doctor involved.

It is all over the internet how WALGREENS IS DENYING filling prescription for PAIN PILLS.They want ill patients to suffer because they are not making enough money off of the prescriptions.

WALGREENS bottom line is more important that the most weak in our society. Cancer patients need medications to get up out of bed everyday. Some days more pills are necessary to make it to RADIATIONS APPOINTMENTS. Some days more pills are needed to make it to CHEMO treatments.

What quality of like do they get if the very pills that they need to stay out of the hospitals are denied to them.

This is just terrible and happening to the weakest/sickest for the BOTTOM LINE of walgreens.Just terrible

Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States #580026

What does it say on his pill bottle?Does it say anything about refills?

Also you could talk to his doctor.There has to be a reason, you do realize that some pain medications are only to be taken for a certain amount of time, don't you?

Bring him to the hospital they will get you the pills that he needs.Just terrible.

Seems to be happening not sure how a Pharmacy company can decide who need pills and who doesn;t!!

Cancer patients have to deal with this and they really can not they prey on the weakest among us!!Until they have these terrible things happen to them or a loved one they have no clue.